how do i to secure folders and lan.

ok this is how i have stuff set up.

Cable modem (Time warner) to wirless linsky router.

Router going to
1. (hard) main computer
2. (hard) Server (fileserver)
3. Wirless laptop.
4. soon to be pci wireless in buddys comp)

(security on wireless is)
1. WEP
2. Mac filtering.
IS this enough?

XP pro on on all computers.

Now on the server i have whole drives shared containing files i access to stream video and such.

here is the problem. My downstairs neighbor is soon going to be using a wirless pci card to connect to my connection on his Pc. I want to be able to somehow secure certain folders (pictures, Sesitive data and such) while giving him access to some as well (tvshows and such.) What is the best way to do this.

1.Can i hide a folder by putting a $ behind the name while sharing?
2. Can i password the folders for acccess across the network.
3. Can i make just my compuyters able to open the shared folder or drive and not his on certain ones?

may rep will be awarded for help. :)

The folders that you wish to secure, right click, go to properties. Go into Security.
Now, you will notice - usually, 'Everyone' has read access. Remove it, and add only the users you wish to have access.

ex. my comp name is johnnycash and I'm not connecting to a domain (I noticed you have a server.... but I'm pretty sure they are logging in locally, right?) ... so if I wanted to add myself to the permissions list ....

I would enter \\johnnycash\username

Hope this helps, I can go into more detail if you wish.

Here's Bill's guide too Stray: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/filesharing.mspx

sraycoz said:
why dont i have the security tab.. any ideas.

Err.. I don't think there is a security 'tab'. There's a sharing tab that allows you to configure how you want to share a folder. This is where you can, to a certain extent, limit what people can and cannot do to that 'shared' folder.

hmm im confused now.. i dont see how to set permissions with the sharing tab..

anyone else. I just want to lock folders out from some people on my network.

Sigh its simple in win 2k hehe

ming said:
Err.. I don't think there is a security 'tab'. There's a sharing tab that allows you to configure how you want to share a folder. This is where you can, to a certain extent, limit what people can and cannot do to that 'shared' folder.

sorry stray, mings right. I should have said sharing. on the sharing tab there is a button for permissions. go in dere to modify who sees it and who don't.
If you see any 'greyed out' options... it means you are not admin, or you have restricted the admin somehow with group policy.

The MS link above also covers it pretty well. - MS

oki have gotten farther. to get to the security tab you must disable simple file sharing in file typs.. ok now when i go to the sharing tab and go to add permissions when i tr to type in the OTHER computers names in a variety of forums it cant find it... Im so confused. this is really frustrating..

this is where im getting stuck in (see pic) see under location i can only see the computer im on. not the other two.. any ideas? id gie you cookies if you could help me

Last edited:
Uni computers don't permit me to use the right mouse button, nor access admin functions. hehe..
sorry... I wish I went home 3 hrs ago.. Might have been able to help you out. :(

Hmmm I would have thought you right click on the particular folder and then press the permissions tab like he had said earlier, then again, I am logged into a domain... Let me see if I can find a stand alone XP box

:D

if you have yahoo messenger I can walk you through it use my screen name under email and add the @ yahoo .com it will find me and I can walk you through it

ok well, Im headed off to lunch, download yahoo messenger, and add me to your friends list, as soon as I get back, I will help you fix this...

Hannibal!

No No Liver, with Fava Beans, and a nice Chianti...
hehe

alright stray, change of tack.

Create a local account on the machine for the user. (ex. shareaccess)
in the permissions for the folder, add that local user \\yourcompname\shareaccess
when the user attempts to navigate to that folder, from their machine, it will prompt them for username/pass

username will be yourcompname\shareaccess
pass - whatever pass you setup.

BTW - I want butterscotch cookies. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back