How do I stop XP from puttin my filenames/folders in CAPS?

Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ Explorer.
If it doesn't already exist, create a new DWORD value named DontPrettyPath. (Edit -> New -> DWORD Value).
Double-click on the DontPrettyPath value, and type 1 for the value.
Close the Registry Editor when you're done. You might have to log out and log back in for this change to take effect.
To turn the feature back on, change the value data back to 0, or just delete the value entirely.

c/o http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-101

Never had the problem myself. If I understand the source of the above tweak right the value 1 for DontPrettyPath will actually force explorer to display all caps. So I think better set this to 0. If you go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced there is this DontPrettyPath again on the right side. If this has the value 1 set it to 0, too. Might perhaps help.

Nope that one didn't work either. The only folder I want to change is WINDOWS to Windows. Anyone got anything else to try? :confused:
Right clicking on it does not give the rename feature.

Well I don't have answer Hipster other then on a 2000 system the main windows folder name is in all caps but the rename feature is there. But I also check on an XP system and the rename feature ain't there and my guess is that you can't rename that folder.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back