How do i remove icon text from xp?

R

RaWShadow

How do i remove the icon text on the desktop icons in windows xp professional?

try to use a space for the icon name...wait, won't work
go to the Character Map, and look for the blank space one ( ALT+0160 according to my key config)
there you will have a nameless icon, but still, it will have the borders of the blank name... :(

Hi RaWShadow

Welcome to Xp-erience

do you mean the background of the text ??

here is what i do.
1. Rename the shortcut on your desktop, as name use alt + 255.
2. remember for every shortcut you need to type alt +255 again, so the first shortcut will be named alt +255 and the second alt +2 55 +alt + 255.
3. you will now have only the icons.
4. to remove the colored box beneath the icon use a program like tweakxp or booostxp. to make icon text transparent.
5. Enjoy!!!

I tried what you said sboulema. Just ended up with shorcuts named alt + 255 so on. :confused:

Thanx yoyo. That worked for the first icon. Now what is this about the second, third etc.

For the second :press alt, type 255, release alt, press it again, type 255, release alt
For the third .....

He, how did that smilie come in my reply???? I used the quick reply box ??? Wonders...

Ahhhggggg. Time to think when I do something. ahhgggggggg

WOO HOO up to the third one & still going.
Does it work with docs,my computer?

Double WOO HOO. Thanx for clearing that up yoyo. :D :D :D

Just have to remember what number you're at. :eek:

Got stuck on the recycle bin. Have you got that tweak handy for adding rename to the right click? I think I'll have to do that first then remove the name.

I have:

open regedit and find the key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF
040-5081-101B-9F08 -00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder.
Select this, on the right there's a binary value called Attributes. Rightclick it, 'modify'. Instead of 40 01 00 20 it should read 50 01 00 20 to have a 'rename' option. In XP, you'll also need to edit the dword string called "CallForAttributes" there. Set it to 0x00000000 (0)

thanks yoyo :D for explaining my maybe not so clear way of working. And yes this will work with all the icons on your desktop. Use the reg for the recyclebin. And a tip use copy and paste os that you cut down the times you type alt + 255. I did it to all of my 30 icons. Hell of a job but it looks good :)

Oh so that's who started this thread. :eek: Hope you got it going figured RaWShadow. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back