How do i make a Bootable USB keydisk to intall windows?

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
been trying to do it and my ways are not working. i have an old computer used as a file server and i just want to reload windows XP via a keydisk. it updated to SP3 and well didnt reboot. so now i need to do a repair install

there is no CDrom in this computer and its a lot of work to just temp hook one up. was thinking this would be the simple way.

can someone explain how i can install windows from a keydisk?

well i think the biggest issue here is, considering the machine your trying to repair is pretty old, it probably does not boot from a usb drive, if it does make sure you have that option "boot from usb drive" selected in the bios.

Yeah, lancer, I was thinking that same thing. The only option may be to get a really cheap cd rom drive and put it in to install the os. Or take one from another pc to temporarily use for this purpose.

seriously you can get a CD rom drive for like $20. whats the hold up?

i'll buy canadian one and ship it to him if its an issue.

anyone know how to do this for MacOS? I have reasons that would make that an interesting proposition - but I am veering way OT from the thread I realise!

yes
'go into disk utility and copy and image to the usb drive, when you boot up the mac it should pick up the usb drive first and viola....

now - if only I could get access to disc utility I think all my troubles would be over (Guest seems not to have it!)

guest has it i think, go to spotlight.... top right hand corner where the little magnifying glass is and type "disk" then press enter... or go to applications/utilities/disk utility....

I had to use sherlock - no spotlight on 9.2 I guess - anyway found disk utility from guest - suspect double click should open - but does nothing - think guest cannot access?

hey there. LOL its a dual core amd LOL not too old just too full of hard drives. and the case that its in the drives cover the ide ports and sata ports. its just a serious pain to get back in there.

but i found a way to do it. i just put bart on the usb key. booted up into that environment and set windows to repair install that drive.

sounds great canadian, glad you got it fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back