How Do I Force Xp To Use Fat32 Partitions??

Black_Pride

OSNN Addict
HOW DO I FORCE XP TO USE FAT32 PARTITIONS IN A CLEAN INSTALL??

I had a horrific experience today building a new system....but the worst of it was that I couldnt get XP setup to use Fat32....it just wasnt on the installation menu...only the NTFS option was there. It was driving me crazy because I've seen it before!! I then reformatted and installed a FAT32 partition with an old win98 boot disk I had and and the Maxtor installation sotware for my new drive but after it copied all the files, I got some fucked up error about "ARC" and "HAL" something or other.....what the hell is that?? Finally I had to cave in and use NTFS just to get it done. After that, the installation went fine.

Did I miss something? I have installed XP in like 10 machines and I have never seen this before.

How can I get XP to use FAT32 everytime I install it on a different system? Maybe I am missing something....

I am extremeley frustrated and any help will be greatly appreciated!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

if you format the drive as fat32 before you run xp setup, it will give you the option to "leave the file system alone" I'm not sure if the partitioner built into setup can make fat32 partitions, but I think it can

As stated above I tried that and after installing all the files I got some error I had never seen before like ARC and HAL something or other.....is their a limit to the size of HD that FAT 32 will work with in XP? The disk I used was 40 GIG......anyone??

Was the disk ever formatted NTFS? If it was the only way to get back to FAT32 is to FDISK and delete the partitions, then remake them and format in FAT32.

some disks are just stubborn, sometimes it's easier to put in another machine as a secondary and patition it in windows xp

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back