How do I do this?

S

Shooter1973

I'd like to pin a folder's shortcut to my start menu like my docs & music is already. my temp dir for example.
thanks.

Right-click the folder, copy, right click "Paste Shorcut" on your desktop, and drag it on into the start menu. If you hover over the button, the start menu will pop up.

thing is though i don't want it on my desktop, and as soon as i add it to the start menu & delete the one on my desktop, i'm back to square one. maybe it's not all that important, but it seems like it would be easy.

Why add shortcut to a folder you've deleted?????? seems a bit redundant to me but horses for courses.
I'm guessing you're shortcutting to a shortcut. Try copying the desktop shortcut there instead. ;)

Originally posted by Erbmaster
Why add shortcut to a folder you've deleted?????? seems a bit redundant to me but horses for courses.
I'm guessing you're shortcutting to a shortcut. Try copying the desktop shortcut there instead. ;)

:) What he said! It's useless to make a shortcut to a shorcut.

not sure where the confusion is. i want to put a shortcut from my temp directory in windows explorer to my start menu. i don't want one on my desktop at all. when i do your steps, i can get the shortcut to the start menu, but when i remove the one from the desktop, it obviously screws up the one on the start menu.

hold down control while dragging the shortcur from your desktop to your startmenu, that will make a copy and not just a shortcut to the desktop shortcut

I have been looking to do this as well.
Currently the shortcut is listed under internet explorer and email program link.
Is there a way to list it in the same column as My Docs, My Music, etc?

Many thanks

Registry Key hack m8, don't know it myself, but if we all join hands and chant, i'm sure we could summon "Mr Cellophane aka Enyo" ;) :p
He's sure to know of it.....

get the file into the moist recently opend list
(left botton coumn)

right ckick, pin to start menue

this is what I do ( for easy access )

switch the start menu to classic ( it doesn't work properly with the new style)
drag n drop the temp folder from its original location onto the start button
now you have the folder at the top of all programs
navigate to C:\ Documents and Settings \user-name \Start Menu
cut n paste the temp folder into C:\ or whichever drive you prefer
now make a new tool-bar to My-Computer ~ or just the drive if you prefer
now the shortcut to the folder is visible & has cascading attributes

2z

twoz, I just tried dragging and dropping into the start menue of the xp theme.

this worked best of all, as the shoprtcut is in there, and allready pinned...nothing else top do

ah but

doing it as pinned folder it doesnt have cascading attributes

where as my way I can browse through the sub folders as well

:cool:

2z

xp theme, right click start menue, properties, customize, advanced, scroll down to whatever you want " displayed as a menue"...fini

this is especially nice used on the control panel

you still cant get that folder to cascade though

only works on classic ~ then you can switch back

:cool:

is this the same thing?

if so, then it works through the gui, , if not, point out to me what i'm missing

ok thats already there in your options

but Shooter1973 want the temp folder there as well

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back