How do I delete a folder?

pluto

OSNN Addict
How do I delete a folder? [SOLVED]

I have a folder on my D drive, which is a physical secondary slave hard drive. Here is what I have tried:

Safe-mode - delete - doesnt work
Command prompt - delete - doesnt work
Scan disk - delete - doesnt work
Defragged - delete - doesnt work
Tried a program that deletes empty folders - doesnt work
Disconnected the hard driver, booted, logged onto windows, shut down, re-connected, reboot, log on - delete - guess?

Its annoying the hell out of me! this empty folder will not shift, be renamed, or favourably - be deleted!

Messages I get:

"Error Deleting File or Folder
Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file or disk."

"Error Deleting File or Folder
Cannot delete (folders name): Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name"

(notice theres a double space between "file" and "name". Odd?)

So yeah, how can I delete this ******* piece of ******* ****, damn ******* folder **** **** :dead:

Last edited:
Try renaming the folder, then deleting, also if it is a folder of something you deleted like with bit torrent or something make sure the folder is not being used by another program.

technokid88 said:
Try renaming the folder, then deleting, also if it is a folder of something you deleted like with bit torrent or something make sure the folder is not being used by another program.
Already tried re-naming, wont do it. Its just a folder I created and copied over some files and then removed them. It isnt attached to any programs.

"Error Renaming File or Folder
Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file or disk."

Plus, I dont do torrenting. Im a good guy :smoker:

Oh balls, I tried renaming it, just in case! and now Im stuck in a loop. Everytime I click off, it says it cant renamed, I cant click off *tears*

Don't know then, try restartig then deleting that sometimes works for me, if i get a folder i cant delete.

Which folder?

Check the user permissions of the folder, make sure you and/or the group you are a member of have permissions.

Ive been doing this for a month now :twisted: restarting and stuff. One would think that a folder would bugger off after the first restart. This is like the 40th?

madmatt said:
Which folder?

Check the user permissions of the folder, make sure you and/or the group you are a member of have permissions.

Its a folder I created on my D drive.

no luck then rename it and use the folder lol... or try putting a file in it and try to delete the whole thing.

I tried renaming and it wont rename and I cant move the folder.

Damn ******* **** stain. Argh!

It bloody deletes now! after a damn month! This computer is lucky that it doesnt have feelings and I dont have PMT!

*rage*

Solution:

Opened up command prompt.

Dir /x

use the 8.3 name.

rename (folder name) (new name).

then went to the folder and deleted it.

Wee bam. Why didnt it do that when I attemped this before?

I recommend the "Open Command Window Here" powertoy, saves a lot of time and effort for opening up a command window for a folder.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

My brain hurts.

What is the name of the folder?

Who has full permissions (R+W) to it?

damnyank said:
I glanced thru the other responses - maybe this will work: download this!

That looks pretty nifty. I might use it on someone elses computer :laugh:

madmatt said:
What is the name of the folder?

Who has full permissions (R+W) to it?
It was named as "6 misc" and I had created it a month ago, then I renamed it to "a" and deleted it. It was located on my secondary hard drive and there is only one account on this computer and Im the only one who has access and is able to log-on here. I have an administrator account and I never bother with permissions as I have no need for them, since I only use this machine.

If the Administrators group or your account does not have full access to it then you will not be able to delete it. I'm not suggesting you changed the permissions but stranger things have happened.

Sometimes you can delete a pesky folder by opening notepad, using its file>open menu, browse to the location of the folder and delete it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back