How do I connect to my ISP in the User select screen

A

ambates

I have ADSL and want my connection to start as soon as my XP starts, so that I have a perminant connection? Any body help?

That's really easy, I did it with my sympatico connection. First you have to make it dial automatically. To do that, go in the Connection properties, and in the Options tab, uncheck everything but the last one (redial if line is dropped), then click OK (make sure the password is remembered and entered properly though).

Then, drag this icon with your right-mouse button to the Startup folder in Start > All Programs, and drop it. Click Create Shortcut when the context menu appears.

Log off, and log back with your username. Watch it dial on its own as soon as windows starts loading =P

hey Zee,

ambates means that his connection is allready up when selecting the user, eg on the logon screen.

I know there was a way to make the connection run a system connection, eg initialized before logon; will look it up

Originally posted by Lukas
hey Zee,

ambates means that his connection is allready up when selecting the user, eg on the logon screen.

I know there was a way to make the connection run a system connection, eg initialized before logon; will look it up

Let me know if you find something Lukas

Creating a file to automate the connection - (suggested by Kris Bird)

Create a file called connect.cmd

Edit the file in Notepad, and enter the following text (customised for your own connection, of course!)

@ECHO OFF
rasdial btopenworld username@hg?.btinternet.com password

Drop the cmd file into the WINNT directory - though any other directory would do just as well
Scheduling the file to run at PC startup
Start/settings/control panel/add scheduled tasks
Double-click on "Add Scheduled Tasks"
Click on "Next"
Click on "Browse", and select the connect.cmd file in the WINNT dorectory
For "Perform this Task", select "When my computer starts"
Assuming that as you are setting this up, you have the right to run the program, leave the default user name in place, and enter and confirm your password
Click on "Next"
Click on "open the advanced properties for this task"
Click on "Finish"
Select the "Settings" tab
Reduce the "Stop the task if it runs for" setting from the default 72 hours 0 Mins. to 0 Hours 5 mins
Click on "Apply"
Click on "OK"

I have tried this and it works fine on XP PRO

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back