how do I block computers on a network

P

PlagueWielder

Hey
Im going to have a network of 4 computers, 2 desktops (XP PRO, 98 SE) and 2 laptops (98 SE, XP PRO).

I want to block the laptop with XP PRO completely so no other user from any of the computers can access it or access it with a password (but be able to access other computers from it). Is this possible?? How??

And also how can I disable the option to block any access on 2 computers on the network??

Thanks

then how would I access the internet from it??

heres what I want to do:
1st comp: Laptop XP PRO: can access all 3 computers but no one
can access it.

2nd comp: Lapto 98 SE: Just connected to the network.

3rd comp: Desktop 98 SE: Connected to the network and cant
block itself (so everyone can access it)

4th comp: Desktop XP PRO: main computer, just connected to the
network.

Is this possible to do this??

Thanks

The cheap and easy way is to use XP's built in Internet Connection Firewall. It pretty much blocks all incoming traffic.

Originally posted by SmokingWeed3000
Hey
Im going to have a network of 4 computers, 2 desktops (XP PRO, 98 SE) and 2 laptops (98 SE, XP PRO).

I want to block the laptop with XP PRO completely so no other user from any of the computers can access it or access it with a password (but be able to access other computers from it). Is this possible?? How??

And also how can I disable the option to block any access on 2 computers on the network??

Thanks

First any 98 se machine can be broken into. Might be a better idea to upgrade the Win 98 se to at least Win 2k. Now with that said ...
On the Win XP Pro if you want to cut it off from anything on your network from accessing it the best way to go is not to enable any shares on it. Or if you do make sure they are by domain users only. This was when you connect to your home network no users or computers can access it. But if you use the laptop at a school or work they usually have a domain. Through the domain you can have shares but password protected and only when you are connected to the domain.
BTW I think there might be a way to block all access by computer name and or MAC. I will have to research it more but try what I have already said if that is applicable.
Let me know :D

thanks PseudoKiller, ill give it a try once i get my network set up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back