How did you find your way to XPerience?

GOD sent me.

God knows why, but I`m staying till he calls for me again.

You are all my family, thanks for all your help. :D

Benny thanks! A little more in this area please?

"keeps the channel safe, displays vital information and reserve the channel (on Efnet)." You lost me on keeps the channel safe

I follow you about the server crashing and the 10 other bots - but this IRC is all new to me - is there a read somewhere - or perhaps a search of Google will suffice???????:confused:

you can read all about egdrop (the kind JJB uses) Bots at www.egghelp.org .
its more of a technical site but it has the information.
as for what i said... well:
Keeps the channel safe: well it makes sure that users who are banned (for whatever reason) out of the channel, and it makes sure that only certain people are ops.
as for vital information... well it depends on how you set it up... in #xperience you can search thru google and display information when it is called (There are certain triggers for certain information; for instance, if you type "?? BB" the bot will display "Bad at spelling").
as for reserves the channel... well on Efnet (and some other networks) if a channel is empty and you are the only user in it you will automatically become the operator of that channel, if for some reason all the Mods in that channel will disconnect from the channel (Never happens) the bots will stay there to make sure no one takes over the channel.

A month after first installing XP, I began looking for tweaks to speed up my box. By chance, I happened to find XP-erience through Google. I never bothered to enter the forums at first.

Then, one day, I decided to take a peek into the forums. I registered under the nickname XPMagic. I was able to get a whole lot of useful info through the forum, and soon I decided to help people out myself.

A few months later, I requested EP to change my nick to NetRyder (which I had been using almost everywhere else on the net)

XP-erience became an important part of my life from then on. Its like another home on the web, and the people here are like my online family.

It wasn't till a few months ago that I first popped into the IRC channel. I was made a voice/subop soon.

Finally, one fine day, I received a PM from EP in #xperience: "you fancy being a mod?" (those exact words :p) ... and that was how I came to become a moderator on the forums and an op in #xperience.

That's my story of how I became a part of XP-erience, and I'm sure I will never have the heart to leave this place ever.

My first post on XP-erience soil ;):
http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?postid=50466#post50466

Your lucky, sometimes I don't even tell the new mods they are mods, it just happens.

This does not mean there will be any mods anytime soon tho, we got loads - too many according to some!!!

Can't remember changing your nick, heheh.

I remember first talking to Jewelzz about it ... and she told me that you were the only one who could change nicknames :)

Benny - thanks again! - Google got me to egghelp.org - guess I got a lot of reading and trying to understand to do! Hopefully I can develop an interest in the ops of this whole thing!

Thanks for all your help again!;)

No problem damnyank, EP does this mean there will be new mods soon? :D ;)

hey ElementalDragon why am i outta luck all of a sudden? :confused:

hmmmm... was a damn long time ago now.. lucky I still remember it... :p

knew waddy ages before he started the site... but didn;t know it :p - he used to be an op in a chan which i used to sit in and idle often...

hmm.. first time i came to the site was from a link from waddy's bot on IRC... was a HTML page with screenshots of XP and stuff as JJB said above.. and was a UBB board, damn cool too... had about 100 members back then...

Then suddenly outta the blue the site was closed... was for about a week... then got an e-mail in my inbox.. saying site had a complete redesign and stuff... visited the link.. and the site looked damn mint (back then of course)

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Didn't the site actually use a Windows XP Luna style theme at first ?
(i may be thinking of elsewhere..)

Yeah thats right :) - was the good old luna style we had back then, using phpnuke.

Believe waddy realised the site was growing day by day... plugged in phpnuke with XMB forums... he lost the old forums and all the info on it... think thats how i partly bagged the status i got today... spent a few good hours copying and pasting XP info and stuff like programs compatable with XP from my history of the old forums into the new XMB ones... took ages :p

Then i followed that with mass submitting news... about 10-20 news submittions /day :p - was fun... had loadsa time :p

Then got PM on site from waddy... asking me if i wanted to join the team... made my day :p - Weshy was another cool guy who was around at the time, were recruited onto the team at the same time... first mods of the site :p

Then I beleive EP was recruited onto the team... then JJB, lightwave, andyp... the good ol' schoolers :p

Gradually managed to start kicking some butt back then... by the launch of XP we had quite a lot of members...

Then disaster struck... our XMB forums started having problems... things started to get really slow... as me + waddy were doing some coddy crappy with a site i was gonna start up (never did) we went over and gave XMB some grief... after realising it wasn;t going anywhere... installed vBulletin 2.2.2

Since then we got a few thousand new members.. things were going real smooth... started recruiting more staff... then gradually got through some nice skins and things... my side project... www.XP-themes.org - never hit it off... as i started school and didn;t get much time on it :/

Then... disaster stuck again... servers started becomming slow... Waddy wasn't around to sort things out, was busy with real life problems and things... server loads were spiking like hell... eventually our hosts, UKshells decided to close us down, as they couldn't handle the site anymore. The site team were devastated, so were many of the members, who XP-erience.org had been part of their life for the best part of a year.

After many calls to our hosts, UKshells, over a week of outage, we finally managed to get the site back.

<<<---- END OF PART ONE ---->>>

MdSalih

P.S. I'll give yah part two once I dont need to iron school clothes :p

I'm really glad people are posting here. This is all really interesting, especially people's stories, and information about how the site used to be :)

MdSalih - very informative - I look forward to you finishing ironing your clothes so I can read part II!;)

because there is no way for you to block access to this website, even though you wouldn't want to anyway. this site is too GREAT to leave

well the site is good. just dont get me wrong, if i MUST, i will leave. i have enough will to do most of the things i want, despite my being lazy.

MdSalih
, that's great stuff, can't wait for the next chapter...maybe we should post a link to THE HISTORY OF XP-ERIENCE DOT ORG when you finnish part two

plus, I want to add a little minutia to this saga.

I used to come here to help, and then I used to click on all the jewelzz, and xsivforce posts, cause these guys were histerical...you new guys should track down all those old posts from these guyz...so much fun...and I'm thinking these two should be moderators here, cuz they are so important... but who was I ?, nobody...so out of nowhere, I just had an election, ...I nominated xsivforce for mayor...Jewelzz for deputy mayor...(actually, she forced me into that).

so, they won and x became mayor, jewlzz deputy mayor...next, I asked x to do something that only a moderator could do...hehe...I knew he woud make an effort, and once he did this, I figured whoever could, would make xsivforce a moderator...I was so proud of myself

Originally posted by dealer
I used to come here to help, and then I used to click on all the jewelzz, and xsivforce posts, cause these guys were histerical...you new guys should track down all those old posts from these guyz...so much fun...
Don't do it, it's a trick! :eek:

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back