how cold is too cold??

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
i am working on a quite yet effective pc mod for teh summer and i was just talking with some friends and stuff about is it possable to be too cold, right now basicaly a beta for our cooling system the thermal plate for the cpu is -24C, something that cold, could it effect the performance in a negitive way on a barton core? amd will not say if it will do anything bad, they will not say what will happen below 0c. so is there a thing of being to cold for a cpu?

I doubt it. Unless humidity gathers, or ice formations begin to form :D

I might be wrong.

Well LN2 cooling is subzero so it shouldn't be a problem. The cooler the less resistance => easier O/C. As long as no mechanical components are cooled below specs it shouldn't be a problem.

Be careful about condensation though!

As mentioned the only real probs at low temp are moisture ones, as long as humidity isnt a problem

ok cool thanks, i will post results for first test on an athlon 1ghz cpu in about a week or so to see if it works out

ok just one question on ths humidity thing with ice and all. if it is just H20 and no mileral content then it wouldent do any harm. so with condensatin forming does it get the mineral content from the dust in the air or will condnsation not conduct???

water = bad for electric components , but yes it is true the more impurities their are the lower the resistance. but i aint one for trying stupid **** when i know the obvious outcome... 1 dead processor or no roof on my house :(

Originally posted by canadian_divx
ok just one question on ths humidity thing with ice and all. if it is just H20 and no mileral content then it wouldent do any harm. so with condensatin forming does it get the mineral content from the dust in the air or will condnsation not conduct???
It's bad enough. Sooner or later something will short, even if it doesn't do it right away.

The only results of a such a low temp is a great overclock and condensation. With temps that low im pretty sure youll need to take the same condensation preventing procedures as though you were using a peltier. Lots and lots of conformal coating, dialetric grease and neoprene foam.

Do you research before hand and save yourself the stress and cost of a blown mobo, cpu and possibly more due to condensation.

http://www.gideontech.com/guides/peltier/index04.shtml

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back