How Can I?

L

Leevoy

Well I know, I know, I know.

Yes Yes Yes I have A.O.L.

I know as far as most of you're concerbed it sucks, it does I admit it.

Understand it is my only choice. I had a 28k connection.
Now I have so many problems with the software.

Firstly it started to have crashes. Then it would say, not responding. It took a bugger to uninstall and reinstall.

I booted the version called 8 into the back draw for now.
I am currently using version 7, which I changed the .exe to install under the compatibility for 98/me.

I have windows XP. Version 8 works excellent on Me. I know as I used it on my sisters note book all afternoon with no probs.

The 64,000 $question$ 'How do you set A.O.L. to run through XP connections (dial up connections, asdl etc..) rather than installing the software A.O.L. sent me? Will affect my connection to A.O.L. servers?

If you want to slag off A.O.L. make your own topic on them and not use this question as a lets diss A.O.L. I have heard them mostly.

Thanks.

you can't, aol is sooooo fuxx0red you can't even share the connection 1 acount one pc there will be no stealing internet from them!!! and with out there software you can't connect to there servers its lame and you should drop them use earthlink or msn or something.

yea, i dont think that you cant use the discs AOL gave you.

As far as I know, you don't have an option but to install the AOL software provided on their CD.
Then you have to go about deleting those stray icons it throws all over the place. :p

It worked fine on a Me Disk.

As I said 'my only choice is A.O.L. if I want faster speeds than 28K'.

So my Mum is stuck with A.O.L. for another year.

It is their crumby software.

It took me from 4 am till now (12.00 pm) to look at this thread.

Ohh gawd, I will be phoning tech support and talking to some dumbass that don't even know what XP is.

There is no way - also when you uninstall it you will have to do a reformat to get rid of all the junk it leaves behind, THE SPYWARE PEACE OF SH*T! ..

Yes I hate aol- I call it "the ISP for the totally computer illiterate who wants people to think he is cool because he can get online freak" I have yet to talk to someone with AOL who did'nt think they knew everything about PC's, If they knew they would get rid of the peace of garbage. They lost 860,000 customers last quarter and I hope they lose more. Then they will be no more ,,

Well I finally got 1 answer, they said that my intel 8 series is not compatible with the modem they supplied (USB). The said also i had to change the chipset, not being 'via', 'sis' or 'intel'.
As we speak I have it working fine.

I hope i am not speaking too soon. I have logged on 8 times in the past 4 hours with no problems (fingers crossed) it won't be a pain.

I was also told that they are going to introduce manually configured dial-up networking soon.

Well all I can say is the sooner the better.

I am assed if i am going to worry about it from now, I will have to hope when we go shopping soon my mother will cough up the vin for the chipset or an internal asdl modem.

Thanks for your advice(s).:)

Originally posted by Leevoy
Well I finally got 1 answer, they said that my intel 8 series is not compatible with the modem they supplied (USB). The said also i had to change the chipset, not being 'via', 'sis' or 'intel'.
As we speak I have it working fine.

I hope i am not speaking too soon. I have logged on 8 times in the past 4 hours with no problems (fingers crossed) it won't be a pain.

I was also told that they are going to introduce manually configured dial-up networking soon.

Well all I can say is the sooner the better.

I am assed if i am going to worry about it from now, I will have to hope when we go shopping soon my mother will cough up the vin for the chipset or an internal asdl modem.

Thanks for your advice(s).:)

how long of a wait was it to talk to a "so called" service tech ???

1st call was answered in 3 rings and second call answered in two rings.

1st call took 1hr 4 minutes of trial n error trying things to relieve situation.

2nd call took 3 minutes to be told about my series 8 having to be changed.

All calls are on a freephone number.

You shouldnt have to change your chipset ( As this is the main part of your motherboard ), just to use AOL.

Thats what I thought I am just going to get a fast usb card instead.

Weird though I aint had 1 problem since Monday. I will still get a super fast usb 2 card though.

AOL really need to treat the customers differently than a farmer treats battery hens.

oooops i saw this thread a bit l8......... Aol do tend to say something is wrong with the computer rather than their software ;) i have rung them many times to be told bull**** :p

all they tend to say (enentaly) is:

1) reinstall Aol
2) it's your computer that has been fine for the last year even though freeserve works on it no problems + Aol wont

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back