How Can I Speed Up My Network?

Black_Pride

OSNN Addict
Hello, I have 3 computers on my office network at my dental office. On all 3 computers I am running Netgear 10/100 Cards and a Netgear 10/100 Hub. All 3 computers are running WindowsME (please do not tell me to upgrade to XP because our dental software requires Win9x). All 3 pc's are 1.2Ghz AMD processors or newer and plenty of RAM. We are experiencing lag on our network when we are sharing info between the pc's. I don't get it. I am running NetBeui on all 3 and we do not use the internet.
How can I make this network faster?

Any suggestions are appreciated...

use a switch instead of the hub, hubs make each pc share the bandwith (3 pc's 100 bandwith = 33 each, switches allow full bandwith so each pc uses 100. :D

nope , a Switch is the only way to go unless you want fiber optic
connections , but thats very expensive.

agree with surge, that's about all u can do given your current setup.

You should see an improvment with the switch. :p

Feels like running TCP/IP instead of NetBEUI would be a good idea.

Actually you shouldn't switch to TCP/IP if you don't need it. TCP/IP uses more over head and increases the packet size, stick with NetBui.

why the h*ll do you want to use netbeui, its slower than tcp/IP
and netbuie is out dated.

Switches are also faster since there will be less collisions, most good switches will not broadcast the packets to the entire network, rather it will pass it on to the right node, but that only works with TCP/IP as far as I know.

I would go with the switch and use TCP/IP instead of netbeui, unless you are using software that requires it.

Originally posted by BigPete
Switches are also faster since there will be less collisions
None at all acctually. Switches don't get collisions because of how it's built in difference from a hub.
, most good switches will not broadcast the packets to the entire network, rather it will pass it on to the right node
A switch will only broadcast if the packet has a destination MAC address that is unknown by the switch.
, but that only works with TCP/IP as far as I know.
Sorry, wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back