How Can I Speed Up My Network?

Hello, I have 3 computers on my office network at my dental office. On all 3 computers I am running Netgear 10/100 Cards and a Netgear 10/100 Hub. All 3 computers are running WindowsME (please do not tell me to upgrade to XP because our dental software requires Win9x). All 3 pc's are 1.2Ghz AMD processors or newer and plenty of RAM. We are experiencing lag on our network when we are sharing info between the pc's. I don't get it. I am running NetBeui on all 3 and we do not use the internet.
How can I make this network faster?

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Iceman

OSNN Veteran Addict
use a switch instead of the hub, hubs make each pc share the bandwith (3 pc's 100 bandwith = 33 each, switches allow full bandwith so each pc uses 100. :D

G

Gokou

Actually you shouldn't switch to TCP/IP if you don't need it. TCP/IP uses more over head and increases the packet size, stick with NetBui.

BigPete

OSNN Sexual Deviant
Switches are also faster since there will be less collisions, most good switches will not broadcast the packets to the entire network, rather it will pass it on to the right node, but that only works with TCP/IP as far as I know.

I would go with the switch and use TCP/IP instead of netbeui, unless you are using software that requires it.

Originally posted by BigPete
Switches are also faster since there will be less collisions
None at all acctually. Switches don't get collisions because of how it's built in difference from a hub.
, most good switches will not broadcast the packets to the entire network, rather it will pass it on to the right node
A switch will only broadcast if the packet has a destination MAC address that is unknown by the switch.
, but that only works with TCP/IP as far as I know.
Sorry, wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut