How Can I Prevent Xp From Loading Hard Drive

S

skyarea

I use a second hard drive that I like to backup with Western Digital Software. To that I (in the past with Win 98) I would go to BIOS and turn on the second hard drive and backup, then turn off backup hard drive off again in BIOS. I would boot up and only have my MASTER hard drive in Windows environment.

With XP even though the BIOS setting for the backup drive is off, it still loads it in Windows.

How can I prevent that? Besides disconnecting power and IDE cable. Or using a removable drive cartridge.

Is there any tweak that I could do to prevent XP from overiding BIOS hard drive settings and only have the MASTER drive?

Thanks for any and all help

You could hook it up to the secondary IDE channel and turn the channel off and on in bios. If you have other hardware on the same channel it will get turned off too.

Yeah, thought of that. I even mentioned that in the above. But I am looking for a way without having open the computer tower and unhook everything everytime.

You misunderstood my post. Enabling CHANNELS is a bios feature... you should have at least two IDE channels. You can hook up one drive, by itself, to the secondary channel as the master drive, and when you want it to disappear, you disable the entire channel in bios.

What your dinking around with now in your bios is the boot order.

If the HDD is on its own channel (ie no slave present) you could disable that in teh bios or even in device manager

How to prevent XP from seeing Hard drive

You can stop the operating system from seeing a harddrive/partition by going to administrative tools in the control panel and select computer management. From here select disk management and right click on the drive you want to hide then select change drive letter and path. You should now be looking at a screen showing the current letter associated with the drive, highlight the drive letter and click on remove. The drive should now be hidden during normal operation. To get it back to perform a backup just follow the same procedure and add a letter to the drive again. Hope this helps.

EDIT your "BOOT.INI" file........make sure you know what you are doing.

Boot.ini

What exactly needs to be done to the boot.ini?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back