how can i limit accounts to extreme's..??

Gary Pandher

OSNN Senior Addict
hey guys
question bout limitin what users can n cant do in their accounts
im the admin on the cpu
n the rest are just limited accounts
buh i'd like to set more limits
ex: no installin programs, no msn yahoo or any chat clients n things like that..anyone know how i cud disable all these in an account as well as make sure they wont be able to get them back on?

They are newbie users, but they know enough to dload the files and install em back on n everything (msn)

I'm sure someone will post... I myself am awaiting an answer to this :D

The Group Policy Editor in XP Pro should allow you to do most, if not all of this.
Start>Run>gpedit.msc

So for example, to prevent users from running certain applications, you would go to User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System and modify the "Don't Run Specified Windows Applications" option. You could basically use this to create a list of instant messengers, chat clients etc that the user account is not allowed to run.

There are lots of other options in there. Look around, and I'm sure you'll find whatever else you're looking for. Each option shows you a pretty detailed explanation of what it does, and how to use it, so it shouldn't be very difficult to figure it out either. If you need help with a certain option etc, feel free to post your question.
Hope that helps
smile.gif

mmmmm
jus wondering
will it disable the option for all users?
i only want it disabled for every other user
except for the admin account which is mine.. :confused:

Changes made to the "Computer Configuration" section affect all users on the machine. Since the group policy editor is intended mainly for machines that are on a domain, you need to tweak it a little bit for your particular situation. I forgot to mention that in my earlier post.

What you basically do is make changes to the "User Configuration" section only. However, this will apply to all accounts on your machine. The tweak basically excludes certain users from the policies using NTFS security permissions. It can be a little tricky, so be sure you don't make any drastic changes the first time you try it. For example, just prevent access to Messenger or something like that. If all goes well, and your account can still use everything, go ahead with the rest of the policies.

This page should show you how to get the tweak in place:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/gp07.htm

smile.gif

You can do it for specific users. We use this in our schools on Windows 2000. There is a way around getting it to work. I work at the school board during the summer as a computer tech, and this is what I did at every school. It basically involves setting the permissions on the group policy folder so that the Administrator can't read them, and therefore the administrator is unaffected. I am fixing to leave for school, I will check and see what the exact permissions are for these, and I will get back to you later. But I know it can be done, because we have done it! ;)

DJ-phYre said:
It basically involves setting the permissions on the group policy folder so that the Administrator can't read them, and therefore the administrator is unaffected.

The above link shows you how to do exactly that.
wink.gif

NetRyder said:
The above link shows you how to do exactly that.
wink.gif
I was in a hurry, almost late for school... didn't have time to look at the link... and o yeah... props to you :)

been trying this out for a couple dayz
and changing things around trying to do what it says in that link
but when i open C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy
in that window there is a General, Sharing, and Customize tab..there isn't any Security tab..anyone know what i have to do?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back