How Can I Improve Overall System Speed

C

cooljames76

i need some tips on how to improve my overall system speed especially during system start up and also like when i open up files and applications it seems very slow sometimes

i am using windows xp home edition
intel celeron 1200mhz
384 megs pc133 ram

go to control panel, visual affects, find what you're looking for there, of course, dissable all the services you don't need, for ideas, on what service you can dissable, go here...make sure you do a backup please

There's a very good registry hack around here that stops XP from looking up the Last Accessed Date of every file. I installed it on my comp and have noticed a BIG difference in access to my Start Menu and when browsing my HD. Unfortunately, I cant find the damned thing, so if someone would be so kind as to post a link for me, I'd appreciate it.

NTFS performance Tweak
Posted by waddy on Saturday, March 16 @ 19:30:12 GMT

search.php?query=&topic=14

search.php?query=&topic=14When Windows NT lists a directory (Explorer, DIR command, etc.) on an NTFS volume, it updates the LastAccess time stamp on each directory it detects. If there are a very large number of directories, this could effect performance. A new registry entry allows you to control this behavior.

First :Back up your registry - Back up tools here Open the registry - Start > Run and type regedit Navigate to Here : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE//System//CurrentControlSet//Control//fileSystem Create a new key called NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate by right clicking in the right window , and choosing New > DWORD Value. Once that key is created, double click on it and change the value from 0 to 1 Reboot and enjoy the speed

I copied this from somewhere
:D

Don't forget to defrag, religiously. Diskeeper 7's 'set it and forget it' feature is great.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back