how can i convert between fat-32 to ntfs?

C

cobraab

how can i convert between fat-32 to Ntfs, and if someoe can explain what is better Ntfs or Fat-32?

FAT 32

FAT32 is an enhanced version of the FAT file system that can be used on drives from 512 megabytes (MB) to 32 GB in size. FAT and FAT32 offer compatibility with operating systems other than Windows 2000. If you're setting up a dual-boot configuration, you should probably use FAT or FAT32.

If you're dual booting Windows 2000 and another operating system, choose a file system based on the other operating system, using the following criteria:

Format the partition as FAT if the installation partition is smaller than 2 gigabytes (GB), or if you're dual booting Windows 2000 with MS-DOS®, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT.

Use FAT32 for use on partitions that are 2 GB or larger. If you choose to format using FAT during Windows 2000 Setup and your partition is greater than 2 GB, Setup automatically formats it as FAT32.

It's recommended that you use NTFS rather than FAT32 for partitions larger than 32 GB.

NTFS

The NTFS file system is the recommended file system for use with Windows 2000. NTFS has all of the basic capabilities of FAT, and it provides the following advantages over the FAT and FAT 32 file systems:

1. Better file security.

2. Better disk compression.

3. Support for large hard disks, up to 2 terabytes (TB).(The maximum drive size for NTFS is much greater than that for FAT, and as drive size increases, performance with NTFS doesn't degrade as it does with FAT.)

If you're using a dual-boot configuration (using both Windows 2000 and another operating system on the same computer), you may not be able to gain access to files on NTFS partitions from the other operating system on your computer. For this reason, you should probably use FAT32 or FAT if you want a dual-boot configuration. The NTFS used by Windows 2000 is not compatible with the version used by Windows NT4. There are programmes available that will make NTFS partitions accessible under Windows 98/ME such as NTFS for Win98.

Converting a FAT or FAT32 Volume to NTFS

NOTE: Although the possibility of corruption or data loss during the conversion is minimal, it is recommended that you perform a backup of the data on the volume that you want to convert before you start the conversion.

To convert an existing FAT or FAT32 volume to NTFS, follow these steps:
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
At the command prompt, type the following, where drive letter is the drive that you want to convert:
convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, type the following command to convert drive E to NTFS:
convert e: /fs:ntfs

When the following message is displayed in the command prompt window, type the volume label of the drive that you are converting, and then press ENTER:
The type of the file system is FAT.
Enter the current volume label for drive drive letter:

When the conversion to NTFS is complete, the following line is displayed in the command prompt window:

Conversion complete

Quit the command prompt.

Troubleshooting

When you attempt to convert a volume to NTFS, you receive the following error message in the command prompt window:

Convert cannot gain exclusive access to the drive letter drive, so it cannot convert it now. Would you like to schedule it to be converted the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>
This issue occurs when the volume that you are attempting to convert is in use, for example, if the drive that you want to convert is the same drive on which Windows XP is running.

To resolve this behavior, type Y at the command prompt. The volume or drive is converted to NTFS the next time you start your computer.

When you attempt to convert a volume to NTFS, you receive the following message in the command prompt window:

Convert cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? <Y/N>
This issue occurs when there are files that are being used on the volume that you are attempting to convert. This includes files that are accessed by users over the network.

To resolve this behavior, use one of the following methods:

Quit all programs that are using the files on the drive, and then type y at the command prompt to convert the drive to NTFS.

-or-

At the command prompt, type Y.

You receive the following message:

Convert cannot gain exclusive access to the drive letter drive, so it cannot convert it now. Would you like to schedule it to be converted the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>
Type Y at the command prompt. The volume or drive is converted to NTFS the next time you start your computer.

Hope this helps you in any way.. ill look up some more for you

Sincerly Alex :cool:

P.S. Let me know how you got on

Microsoft Recommends you dont convert a FAT drive too NTFS.

Copy all the files from ya HD. Then format it as NTFS.

Also NTFS can only be used with windows NT.

NTFS is better in almost every way. apart from

Fat 32 is a little faster (but gets slower with the more files thats on the partition, unlike NTFS)

Almost everything supports Fat 32. ntfs can only used with windows NT or some 3rd party NTFS tools.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back