how can I boot to DOS without Config.sys and Autoexec.bat?

F

fedele

I need to flash my bios , how can I boot to DOS without Config.sys and Autoexec.bat?...awflash utility readme file recomends this, how can i do it? thanks!

Not sure you can in XP. However, with Win98 and all before you do not need autoexec.bat or config.sys to boot to DOS they just configure device drivers (mouse, cd etc) or set up locales.

Sorry this doesn't actually answer the question.

How about trying the Command Recovery Console ?

1. Format a disk and select Make DOS boot disk.
2. Copy the flash utility to the disk.
3. Reboot and flash the bugger! :)

Originally posted by Zedric
1. Format a disk and select Make DOS boot disk.
2. Copy the flash utility to the disk.
3. Reboot and flash the bugger! :)

thanks for replies, Do i have to copy the new bios file into the disk too? I'm confused here, the awflash utility will only flash the bios and then I will have to select the new bios, right?

I think flashing the BIOS means putting a new BIOS image on the BIOS. So yes, you have to copy the new bios file into the disk too

Make sure you know what you are doing though. One false move & it's history. Be careful.

ok, I did it. I have a bit of problems now that I did this. when I right click on a picture or on the desktop. The menu takes too long to display....also IE navigation is very slow. did the new bios did this???

Did you clear your BIOs before rebooting. Have you reset up all your bios settings? If not this can be your problem. If you did and have the problems, consider going back. Did you need the bios enhancements? Alot of these are just the ability to run a faster cpu. If the answer is no...try going back.

By the way, if you flash alot or make your own bios, consider a bios savior. they are made in Sweden, but are sold in the US for about $25.00.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back