Hotmail on the NTL bandwagon??

jonifen

pffff...
I just found this on The Register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/29925.html

Hotmail have put a cap on the amount of emails you send a day (although its actually the amount of email addresses - so if you send several emails (no, not spam) which are simulataneously sent to a few people, you could easily reach that limit)

The cap figure is apparantly 100.

i posted that yesterday on main page:p

Webmail is pretty much worthless, pop3 is the only mail that I use now.

god hotmail is getting crappier and crappier by the day. Bleh after easter I will be changin my primary email address anyways

Hotmail are doing the right thing actually, the way i see it there is now reason why anyone would want to send more then 100 emails in more then 24h unless its spam mail.
the only problem is that wont be the thing to stop spam completely, not then pop3 providers need to limit the number or at least charge a penny for a email after the 100th email or so making it unprofitable to spam.

Originally posted by Benny
Hotmail are doing the right thing actually, the way i see it there is now reason why anyone would want to send more then 100 emails in more then 24h unless its spam mail.
the only problem is that wont be the thing to stop spam completely, not then pop3 providers need to limit the number or at least charge a penny for a email after the 100th email or so making it unprofitable to spam.
Yeah 100 is a bit excessive, ( just looked I only have about 20 or so people in my address book :p

Hey Geffy

just checked my address book - just realised im a bit of a "billy no mates" as well - he he

I tend not to store contacts, but I rarely ever use Email anymore anyway, with everyone I know either being on MSNM, ICQ, Some forums somewhere or IRC, it makes it a lot easier to get in touch with people, and in most cases, in real time.

For the average user though, 100 a day is plenty, I'm sure that if hotmail imposed the limit and didn't tell anyone that 95%+ of legitemate users probably wouldn't even notice. The same goes for NTL's bandwidth limit last month.

People just over-react on these things.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Whats life if you cant b!tch about something, and when it comes to MS people enjoy b!tching even more for some reason.

I like MS........ maybe not there biz ethic but they do make good software....

Im with you Krux...most people just jump on the bandwagon of hating MS just cos they can change the 'S' to a '$'!! That in itself can be anough reason for a lot of people.

I get very bored about hearing how much people "hate" MS....as they sit there on their Windows PC....using IE.... and Outlook............. before going off to play a DirectX game..........................using their Intellimouse..................... Makes me laugh.

i dunno how anyone can say a bad word against hotmail using the web browser method.

the only reason i use it is.....

IT DONT DOWNLOAD THE VIRUS TO THE PC 1ST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can see you have a virus with hotmail and find out b4 norton kicks off meaning the little b******* is already on your system, that and all the spam mail ends up in my hotmail box ;)

hotmail has saved me from downloading a new virus twice now. and i must have had 20+ virus emails this week.

Originally posted by Teddy
Im with you Krux...most people just jump on the bandwagon of hating MS just cos they can change the 'S' to a '$'!! That in itself can be anough reason for a lot of people.

I get very bored about hearing how much people "hate" MS....as they sit there on their Windows PC....using IE.... and Outlook............. before going off to play a DirectX game..........................using their Intellimouse..................... Makes me laugh.

its strange how people seem to change the conversation so quickly from the start...

the post was aimed at people who may like to know that these kind of caps exist... it wasnt to have a go at MS like you seem to think Teddy.

I agree, I thought most Windows O/Ses sucked balls until ME, 2000 and now XP (with the exception of 3.1 cuz we all know that owned) - they've done an awesome job. Just because I comment on their rules on hotmail, doesnt mean im commenting on everything they do, and it doesnt make me a hypocrite cuz i have an MS keyboard and mouse, I use WinXP, I play D3D games and yes, I use IE and Outlook. So what exactly makes you laugh about that?

I aint tryin to start an arguement, im just commenting on things people say when they dont realise what the original post was meant for in the first place... now THAT makes me laugh...

I tend not to store contacts, but I rarely ever use Email anymore anyway, with everyone I know either being on MSNM, ICQ, Some forums somewhere or IRC, it makes it a lot easier to get in touch with people, and in most cases, in real time.

For the average user though, 100 a day is plenty, I'm sure that if hotmail imposed the limit and didn't tell anyone that 95%+ of legitemate users probably wouldn't even notice. The same goes for NTL's bandwidth limit last month.

I went over the 1Gb limit numerous times while using the net legitimately... 328Mb for GTA1 from Rockstar... Q3 updates, UT updates, UT2003 updates etc... it all adds up. And after all NTL have done with the cap... download speed has DECREASED... pings have RISEN so the reason they did all this in the first place has just gone to waste.

and on a general note... spammers dont use hotmail to spam... thats why there are so many apps available to mailbomb, send spam out etc. so I dont see how capping the amount of EMAIL ADDRESSES people can mail to each day (not the amount of emails... the amount of email addresses are capped) is going to stop the spam.

there is a supposed 85% of hotmail users who use it for spamming purposes. Thats right only 15% of users are people using it for simple communication.

So can I btch a little bit about Microsoft if I use OpenOffice mainly (have office as well), Logitech keyboard and mouse, Mozilla for email and browsing, but on a WinXP system, and do most games in OpenGL?

Personally I think Win2k and XP are the best things to come out of MS in a fair while. 98 was better than ME. 95 was waste of space. 3.1 well I never really got much time with that one.

The only thing I dislike about MS is the almost extortionate prices they charge for things like Office when half of the features I will never use. I have Office Professional (XP I think) it came with PC, but I only ever use Word and Excel, Access IMO isnt as good as FileMaker Pro, and I cant remember the last time I used anything like Powerpoint.

Webmail is pretty much worthless, pop3 is the only mail that I use now.

Webmail can actually be a good thing in some cases. Since I'm not allowed IMs at work, and I'd be a retard to use my work email for personal use, I can still get to my email on the web. I prefer emails where I can do both.

That being said, most webmail services are crap, and mainly because they are free, which leads to spam abuse.

[ad]Want webmail (pop-able) with good, clean service? Then shell out $20 a year for a "real" email. I've been using it for 2 years now, and can count the spam I've received on one hand. Having a permanent email service not tied to my isp is great.
www.usermail.com[/ad]
Sorry, I couldn't help myself :p

-Ryandor

Originally posted by Geffy
there is a supposed 85% of hotmail users who use it for spamming purposes. Thats right only 15% of users are people using it for simple communication.

how many of this 85% actually use the hotmail system to send their spam? if you check the spam you receive... the headers nearly always mention a spammer program name which was used to send (usually mentioned as X-Mailer in the MIME headers). Fair enough, some must get sent through hotmails system (being sent from Outlook Express v5/6 or Outlook XP), but I would say that there are definitely less than 5/10% that use the hotmail system.

I tend to use pop3 more than http mail... but i use a hotmail account for forums (i expect loads of emails telling me of replies to various posts ive made) and dont want to download them all the time, filling the Outlook inbox. I like NTL's webmail (accessible by http AND pop3).

Ok, Maybe I exegerated, webmail can be handy, there are occasions when I don't have access to my pop accounts and will use the webmail version.
Most dedicated webmail services are useless though, that one you mentioned seems a good price, esspecially if they provide a good service.
I'm happy with the mail i get from my web host. :)

Well i think its pretty damn good for a freebie and being able to IM your friends for FREE. obviously this is costing microsoft money so why not charge heavy users to have unlimited emails... i suppose they get extra space more filter options and so on. so not bad at all i think:)

Originally posted by jonifen
how many of this 85% actually use the hotmail system to send their spam? if you check the spam you receive... the headers nearly always mention a spammer program name which was used to send (usually mentioned as X-Mailer in the MIME headers). Fair enough, some must get sent through hotmails system (being sent from Outlook Express v5/6 or Outlook XP), but I would say that there are definitely less than 5/10% that use the hotmail system.

I tend to use pop3 more than http mail... but i use a hotmail account for forums (i expect loads of emails telling me of replies to various posts ive made) and dont want to download them all the time, filling the Outlook inbox. I like NTL's webmail (accessible by http AND pop3).
Those numbers are remembered from an article I read a while ago, so I can only loosely claim them. But I am pretty sure that the 15% legitimate users was about right. At that time I think people were accusing MS for not being more hard handed with spammers as they effectively filled your mailbox, then you would have to play MS $19 to get Hotmail Extra for the additional storage and such. I think they are trying to change that image now.

I think Webmail has its uses, better is a proper POP3 account with the option of webamil access as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back