Hotmail now allows you to get your mail from a regular email client .

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
Do you have a hotmail, msn, or live mail email address and have to go to the site to get your mails? Well, hotmail has finally set it up where you get your email from any standard email client. Below is how to do it.

This does work, as I am using thunderbird to get my live mail email now. The only draw back is that it will not download the junk mail from your hotmail/live mail accounts. It will only download the inbox messages. But, you are able to send and recieve mail from them.

Instructions:
Hotmail POP3 and SMTP configuration settings:

Incoming Server (POP3 Server): pop3.live.com
Incoming Server POP Port: 995
Incoming Server POP SSL Encryption: Yes (On or Required)
Outgoing Server (SMTP Server): smtp.live.com
Outgoing Server SMTP Port: 25
Outgoing Server Authentication: Yes (On – Use POP username and password or Hotmail credentials)
Outgoing Server TLS or SSL Encrypted Connection: Yes (On or Required)
User Name: Windows Live ID (e.g. yourname@hotmail.com)
Password: password used to sign in to Hotmail or service
Note: “Log on using Authentication (SPA)” check box in Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail should not be selected.
The main thing I would suggest; when you set up your account, make sure you set it to keep files on server until you delete them before you use it for the first time. Otherwise, it will delete all the messages from your inbox when you retrieve them.

I suggest that because I find it to be a great way to back up your stuff. Although, with most email clients you can back it up. The above also allows you to check your mail through the web at anytime, as well as as retrieve older ones if you are not at your main pc.

Last edited:
I think this has always been available, or at least those settings were, though maybe only a small percentage of people knew about it or use it.

I'll probably be forced to add those settings once M$ disables the normal http access (Delta protocol) or whatever they call it on Outlook in October.

Thanks for this info. It's about time they did this.

Ming, I believe I tried it at one point a few months back hoping maybe they did but it wouldn't work. I just checked with my older Hotmail accounts and newer Live ones and I can now access my email with a normal third-party client.

I think this has always been available, or at least those settings were, though maybe only a small percentage of people knew about it or use it.

I'll probably be forced to add those settings once M$ disables the normal http access (Delta protocol) or whatever they call it on Outlook in October.

It used to be http only, then they went with the pop for pro users only, and now it is available for everybody .. I am liking it :)

It used to be http only, then they went with the pop for pro users only, and now it is available for everybody .. I am liking it :)

Will be good for all Outlook users. When I do apply the pop3 settings, I'll be able to set 'rules' for sorting emails into specific folders... lol :laugh:

Will be good for all Outlook users. When I do apply the pop3 settings, I'll be able to set 'rules' for sorting emails into specific folders... lol :laugh:

Yup. that is what I am doing with Thunderbird. I am loving it so far ..

I thought only spammers used hotmail (live) anymore. Most places won't even accept a hotmail email due to the huge rate of spammers. Cool that MS is letting everyone use a 3rd party email client now though. :)

I thought only spammers used hotmail (live) anymore. Most places won't even accept a hotmail email due to the huge rate of spammers. Cool that MS is letting everyone use a 3rd party email client now though. :)

Mine is a live mail address with hotmail that I got a couple of years ago. They were giving away free domains at the time with sign ups for office live so I grabbed and set my own personal email. Myname@mylastname.net - I have to log in with hotmail, so this is coming in real handy for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back