hotkeys for nothin

S

slayer[X]

My hotkeys dont work,
(Open internet explorer with F4)
(Show Desktop with F3)
Even if i put them in the desktop.

When i press the corresponding button, nothing happens.

Help Needed.:(

Try adding a Ctrl, Alt, or Shift to the key combo. Mine is Ctrl+Alt+I.

If you don't use the number pad you can use that for shortcuts as well.

Don't know why the F keys aren't working.

Use these keys = F6, and F8-F12.

Find the program you want to use, create a shortcut if it does not have one. Put the shortcut anywhere you want. Right click on the shortcut/properties, click in Shortcut Key, then hit the F key you want to use.

Originally posted by slayer[XP]
My hotkeys dont work,
(Open internet explorer with F4)
(Show Desktop with F3)
Even if i put them in the desktop.

When i press the corresponding button, nothing happens.

Help Needed.:(
And looking at what I just posted above the keys you are using are reserved for other uses. Swap them with the ones listed above.

No use.
Still Nothing.
Dont work.:huh:

Just wonderin, might there be a registry key that unables me to use this shortcuts ,Or, in the group policies or somethin...

oh i forgot, they were working 3 days ago but when i rebooted my comp, it wont anymore.

Using the F3 key with the desktop active you should get the search function popping up. That's the default. If nothing is happening you could maybe try this to get it back>

Go to the device manager, remove the keyboard, reboot. XP should then see it & reload it.

Try the F3 again. Now the search function should pop up. Now you can assign your shortcuts to F6, F8 - F12.

I don't think you can assign a shortcut to an F# key all by itself (it will let you, but it shouldn't work properly). It would be like assigning a program shortcut to the S key (which would be really friggin annoying). The function keys have specific roles for individual apps. For example, in Windows Explorer:
F1 = help
F2 = rename file/folder
F3 = search
F4 = pull down address list box
F5 = refresh
F6 = switch between folder pane and file pane
F10 = go to menus
F11 = full screen

Imagine you had a program use F2 as a shortcut key. If you go into Windows Explorer and try to rename a file with F2, it would open up that program when all you were wanting to do was rename a file. I think it's a bug that the shortcut windows allow you to input Function keys by themselves as the shortcut key.

Thanx for clearing that up zyfos. Haven't used those shorcuts in a long time. Just been playing with them & it seems the only free F key I have is F12. All the others are taken up by what you posted & other apps.

Tried using the Ctrl + Alt combination but still, it ain't workin. Haven't tried what hipster doofus said.(Trying now.)
Oh and all the shorcuts zyfos said works.
:confused: what the fudge is wrong...:huh:

personnaly, I use the windows key with the little software called Winkey (which is free btw). Works very well and you have only 2 buttons to press... because pressing 3 ou 4 button to start something, is WAYYYY to many :eek:

I tried assigning Ctrl+Alt+F12 to notepad and it worked ok. That Winkey program that Swi mentioned is pretty good to.

Ok. Tried using winkey.(Great:happy: !)
Well... this will do, but i was hoping that i can use only 1 letter or key though....

Thanks for all the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back