Hotbar is/was Spyware

L

LoctOut

Ref Below......

Tried hotbar a couple years ago. Then there was a big stink cause it was discovered it was spyware. From their current policy it looks like they still are.

So....

Let's be carefull out there

Here's an extract from their privacy policy

HOTBAR COLLECTS AND STORES INFORMATION ABOUT THE WEB PAGES YOU VIEW AND THE DATA YOU ENTER IN SEARCH ENGINE SEARCH FIELDS WHILE USING THE SOFTWARE. HOTBAR USES THIS INFORMATION TO DETERMINE WHICH ADS AND BUTTONS TO DISPLAY ON YOUR HOTBAR TOOLBAR AND WHICH ADS TO SHOW YOUR BROWSER. HOWEVER, HOTBAR DOES NOT (A) ASSOCIATE OR STORE SUCH WEB USAGE DATA OR SEARCH INFORMATION WITH ANY PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION SUCH AS NAME OR EMAIL ADDRESS OR (B) ANALYZE SUCH WEB USAGE DATA OR SEARCH INFORMATION TO DETERMINE THE IDENTITY OF ANY HOTBAR USER. SOME INFORMATION COLLECTED BY THE HOTBAR SOFTWARE IS PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE, SUCH AS NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS. THIS PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION IS STORED SEPARATELY FROM THE INFORMATION ABOUT THE WEB PAGES YOU VIEW AND THE DATA YOU ENTER IN SEARCH ENGINE SEARCH FIELDS AND THE TWO TYPES OF INFORMATION CANNOT BE CORRELATED OR LINKED. FURTHERMORE, HOTBAR DOES NOT USE THIS PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION TO DETERMINE WHICH ADS AND BUTTONS TO DISPLAY ON YOUR HOTBAR TOOLBAR OR WHICH ADS TO SHOW YOUR BROWSER.

Hotbar !
Posted by waddy on Saturday, March 23 @ 22:00:01 GMT

Thanks to QuakeSkull for this news :

Hotbar takes your browser to the next level by adding graphic overlays called skins plus a dynamic toolbar to your Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator browser.

Download & Information : Hotbar.com

Ad-Aware is an excellemt proggy...... I've used it almost since it first came out. But it always is a good idea to warn/remind people, don't ya think?

Thanks LoctOut, always best to be safe than sorry, definately it is good to warn people, but lets not get paranoid :)

Maybe a link to the privacy policy would have done the trick

LOL

I personally could not careless if they track my surfing, I allow google bar to track me :p

Though I always run Ad-aware on each program I install .. hah

I personally don't much mind software that rings back while you're actually using it -- it's the stuff that starts running rogue resident apps in the background that bugs me. There's generally no accounting for stability or resource-friendliness in such apps, and tend to wreak havoc and steal precious RAM/CPU cycles. I keep a constant eye on my running tasks, at least until they get smart and start installing them as services (which I only audit every so often).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back