Hot Plug & Play and Hot Swap

Eiji

OSNN Addict
I have this USB 2 Enclosure:

icylight.jpg

It is stated that the product is Hot Plug & Play and Hot Swap.

Does that mean I can plug in the USB 2 cable any time (like a USB Pen Drive) and does the hot swap mean I can swap hard drives in and out of the enclosure without any damage or electrical risk while it is plugged into the mains and USB 2 port with the PC on?

I would guess it only means you can plug the USB cable in and out at any time, nothing else. The box doesn't look like it's made for taking the acctual disk out during operation, but the image isn't all that self explanatory. ;)

I think it means you can plug it in and disconnect it without having to worry about turning it on and off ( my friends caddy has to be disconnected in windows then turned off then removed from usb). I wouldnt have thought it was possible to change the actual drive in the caddy while it was plugged in and powered on no, but you can just disconnect the caddy, swap the drive then plug it back in again, 2 minute job.

Zedric said:
I would guess it only means you can plug the USB cable in and out at any time, nothing else. The box doesn't look like it's made for taking the acctual disk out during operation, but the image isn't all that self explanatory. ;)

Ok, here is some more info on the unit :)

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD04MDgmdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ==

http://www.nanopoint.co.uk/goods_pic/uk/ib-350u_2b.jpg

Flipping the power switch to off and then switching hard drives while the unit is plugged in to mains and USB port is ok or do I still need to unplug it from the USB port and mains?

Eiji said:
Flipping the power switch to off and then switching hard drives while the unit is plugged in to mains and USB port is ok or do I still need to unplug it from the USB port and mains?
Unplug it, definately. That's not made for hotswapping the drive (note the bare electronics and traditional connectors inside). Not that it's much extra work to pull two cables. ;)

Hmm, then the term "Hot Swap" for the ICY Box is misleading since "Hot Plug and Play" refers to the insertion and removal of the USB cable from the PC :/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back