Hot! Hot! Hot!

Originally posted by GOTO10

b) forget about all these doomsday posts. like 'SHUT IT DOWN'.... even though high 60's is hot, it is NOWHERE NEAR DAMAGING YOUR CPU.

AMD engineers would be laughing at most of you.... :p [/B]

Right on brotha....most people here freak out if the temp is around 50 or so. Go to www.vanshardware.com for some good articles on the P4 and how bad NetBurst is for your CPU. It's effectively shutting down portions of your CPU, creating certain hotspots. Anyway, I wouldn't be worried unless it was in the HIGH 60s...then you might consider better cooling (prolly your case, or move it to a different room.)

I noted that even before I power up my system, when the electricity plug is switched on, the CPU fan runs. How come?

Heat & Case Covers

I have run my system without the cover on the case for several years. You don't get any more appreciable dust than you do with the cover on. And actually it is much easier to swap out components, cards etc. The compressed air idea is a good one and I do use compressed air at my shop. But the exhaust of a good ShpVac does the trick & if you already have one or something similar it is much less expensive. If you have much dust build up around the fins of your heatsink compressed air is better for that. I also work as a Computer Repair Professional. LESS HEAT IS THE WAY TO GO! Anyone who recommends anything else is an IDIOT. I do, however, have significant misgivings about mixing electronics of any sort and H2O (Water). The downside is HUGE if you spring just one little leak. I have checked out 2 different water cooling systems and I did not care for the amount of trouble either one of them was to get set up properly. You might want to try a cooler with a Peltier Device type of cooling system attached. They are actually like a little miniature "Air Conditioner" they are freezing cold (almost literally) on one side and super Hot on the other. They do a great job of cooling processors but they also have (in my opinion) a condensation problem. The last time I used one was about 3 years ago on a K6 processor. Outside of the fact that I didn't care for the condensation it worked very well & might be just what is necessary to cool your system down.

Best of luck to you!

My System:
SuperCase Full Tower
4 each 80 Gig Maxtor 7200 RPM ATA133 Drives (320 Gig Raid Array)
1 each 80 Gig Maxtor 7200 RPM Boot Drive
1 Each ACOM External (For File Transfer & Backup) 60 Gig (USB 2 & Firewire Connect)
3 each 512Meg Hynix PC2700 DDR 333 Ram (1.5 Gig)
ABIT AT7 Max Motherboard
SounBlaster Audigy Platinum
A+ GPB 500 Watt Power Supply
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500DV 64 Meg
JVC SVHS HR-S5400U For Video Editing
AMD XP2000+ Processor W/PentAlpha APSK0169B Heatsink & Fan
2 each-SNT Hot-Swap Mobile Racks
Plextor 40/12/40A CDRW
Sony 16X DVD
KDS Avitron 19" True Flat Monitor
Olympus D-40 Zoom 4 Megapixel Digital Camera
HP-1200 LaserJet Printer
Epson Stylus PHOTO 785EPX Color InkJet Printer 2880 DPI
PrimaScan 2400U USB Scanner
Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse
Lite-On Surfboard Wireless Keyboard
WindowsXP Professional

If you do not have alot of case fans, leaving side of case off is the cheap mans cooling solution.

But if you have 2 cats like me, it is not really an option....unless you like cleaning your fans and HS's out bi-weekly. :rolleyes:

Leave the side of youe case off...and watch your Hsf's grow cat hair.

Go Figure......Knowing you.

But I guess thats the Price I pay for having 2 Long haired Male cats.

My Hair is long, so my cats may as well have long hair too.....:cool:

Not being in the Pest Control business I have no solution for you guys "Cat Problems" I have one Awsome Boston Terrier & One Super Spoiled Pain in the Arse Yappy Noisy Dachshund. I would still recommend a Peltier Device Type Cooler or perhaps if you do want to remove the cover an electrified Barb-Wire fence to fend off your Feline friends. Then of course you may safely remove the cover.......Taking pains of course not to electrocute yourself.

Best of Luck to you!

My System:
SuperCase Full Tower
1 Each ACOM External (For File Transfer & Backup) 60 Gig (USB 2 & Firewire Connect)
ABIT AT7 Max Motherboard
SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
Plextor 40/12/40A CDRW
Sony 16X DVD
HP-1200 LaserJet Printer
WindowsXP Professional

from AMD's website:

from amd.com
Although "normal" operating temperatures are not specified for AMD processors, there are maximum operating temperature ratings that must not be exceeded. The maximum operating temperature of a processor may be determined by the processor's Ordering Part Number (OPN). Refer to the processor's data sheet for additional information (data sheets may be downloaded from the Technical Documents page). Typically, the maximum operating temperatures for Socket A AMD Athlon™ and AMD Duron™ desktop processors are 90 degrees Celsius for processors operating up to 1GHz, and 95 degrees Celsius for processors operating above 1GHz.

Yes, 60 degrees is HIGH, but according to AMD (and I would assume they would in fact have the final say in the matter) the most important thing is to not exceed 90 degrees. If you're running at 60 degrees, you're 30 degrees below the temperature AMD considers damaging. I'm not exactly sure why so many people FREAK OUT about 50 degrees or 60 degrees, I think those temps are a bit high (personally) but according to the manufacturer of your CPU, it's ok.

mavis

Well, actually I don't have the hair problems, I'm using a p4, and temp NEVER gets over 39C under load......side panel on of off dosnt matter....remains cool all the time.

But with my AMD, with side of case off....Cat hair collects.

So you save a few buck in the initial purchase of the Athlon and later you are greeted with several hundred dollar electric bills? OoooK!

Originally posted by catch23
The trick to cooling AthlonXPs is having a cool room temp...

The P4 stays cool because it stops working when it gets warm.

And the problem with that is....????:confused:

Either it slows down or crashes like the AMD....I have had one b4, I know the drill.

Here ya go guys......a place to check out Peltier Devices.....Obviously a much needed commodity in this thread!

http://www.swiftnets.com/

Best of luck to you!

My System:
SuperCase Full Tower
ABIT AT7 Max Motherboard
Plextor 40/12/40A CDRW
Sony 16X DVD
HP-1200 LaserJet Printer
WindowsXP Professional

Well hopefully you dont sleep there, if so, I'll send you a set of earplugs....I got from work :rolleyes:

Well, I'm going to go watch "The Japan Bowl" & see if Washington or San Fransisco comes out on top. Hope you guys have a "Cool" Night.....

Best of Luck to you!

My System:
SuperCase Full Tower
ABIT AT7 Max Motherboard
Plextor 40/12/40A CDRW
Sony 16X DVD
HP-1200 LaserJet Printer
WindowsXP Professional

Originally posted by boolseye
Well, I'm going to go watch "The Japan Bowl" & see if Washington or San Fransisco comes out on top. Hope you guys have a "Cool" Night.....

Best of Luck to you!

Skins up 14-7, but not really interested....My Team the STEELERS play on Thurs ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back