Hosting a website from your office !

G-Money

Big Air
I was wondering what all it took too host a website from the office.
As in not having a ISP host it for us. We want to have the site there in the office with the e-mail also !

We have a T1 (1/2) and a URL !

Thansk......

You'll need a server and the software to run it - something like Apache if you are sticking with XP. Might want some backup and stuff like UPS too depending how critical system is to business....

Not sure what more - anyone?

Side question.. How do you tie the URL to the IP of the server it would be running off of ??

Done in two ways. Either use a free dns service e.g. www.no-ip.com, and set up your ip address (won't matter if it's dynamic), or register a domain name and ask whoever is registering the name to your ip address - only viable if your ip is static.

I assume you have permission to do this right? I would advice against doing such things if you don't.

Xie said:
I assume you have permission to do this right? I would advice against doing such things if you don't.

Yes I do. My step-mom owns the company, shes the one that wants it done !

basically I would put together or buy a medium spec machine
install FreeBSD or linux on it to do the Webserving and Mailserving, configure each so its all appears to be working
then if you already have a domain name of your own registered then I would get some DNS Hosting to store your DNS record information so that people can get to your webserver. The main reason for hosting the DNS somewhere else is so that in the event that your machine fails, or the line does, people can still resolve your IP information even though they cant get to the site completely. People are more likely to believe a site exists if the "Connection Times Out" than if the domain cannot be resolved.

Agree with Geffy but configuring the box is a bit tricky for beginner

There's a lot of HOW TO over the net.. good luck ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back