hostfile

Go to your windows directory. Open the file called 'HOSTS' using notepad and delete all the text contained in it, then save.

vivid

The windows host file is located in

C:\Windows\system32\drives\etc\hosts

the only line in there by default is:

127.0.0.1 localhost

thanks guys. I got bad case of spyware. Me letting people use my computer. And right now I am totally against a reformat and reinstall except the programs I am using to get rid of everything just aren't doing the job and I'm trying to manually get rid of everything

also I can't keep things out of my hostfile and I don't know what the hell to do

Tuffgong4 said:
also I can't keep things out of my hostfile and I don't know what the hell to do
Well if lines keep apearing in your host file your still "infected". I would try running both spybot & adaware. Also perhaps post a hijackthis log would be helpful. :)

oh I know I'm still infected but I can't find the root. Ran Adaware and SB and D and no help...will post a log in a bit

calsp.dll anyone know what the hell that is...says I need lspfix but the website with it is gone or not loading for me

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 8:28:51 PM, on 11/16/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\StartupMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe
C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Run StartupMonitor] StartupMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DiskeeperSystray] "C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkIcon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - Startup: speedfan.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe
O4 - Startup: Stardock ObjectDock.lnk = C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1091641017781

calsp.dll is a malware LSP hijacker, don't see it in your log, you probably can't get to the website because it is blocked in your hosts file.

I've attached LSPFix to this post, run it and move all instances of calsp.dll to the remove pane and hit finish. Reboot and post a new HJT log.

Attachments

• lspfix.zip
    178.3 KB · Views: 49
thanks j79zlr and the rest that was it and I got rid of it...the weird thing is that I couldn't get to the website in Firefox but I could get to it when I ran IE...I got rid of calsp.dll and have watched everything and it is good to go.

The weird thing is that I know the person that started this problem only uses IE and that was the browser I had to use to get the fix. Looks like I'm going to lock my puter up when I'm not using it.
and here is the new hijack this log
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 12:02:09 AM, on 11/17/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\StartupMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe
C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskswitch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Run StartupMonitor] StartupMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DiskeeperSystray] "C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DkIcon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - Startup: speedfan.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe
O4 - Startup: Stardock ObjectDock.lnk = C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1091641017781

looks clean, just lock down the permissions on IE and you shouldn't have any problems ;)

Also checkout Spyware Blaster, it blocks a lot of malicious sites from even loading in IE, and blocks tracking cookies in IE and Mozilla/Firefox.

There's some nice reading on the host file and also has batch files to lock or unlock the host file

Here

downloaded spyware blaster last night and hid every quick way to get to IE on my computer so the people using it have only Firefox to use

Thanks again guys!!

why don't you block ie from accessing the internet, put a password on your firewall

tee heee

then put an ie icon on your firebird shortcut and make the toolbar resemble ie...also keep a firebird icon shortcut, and keep that toolbar looking like firebird

should be a laugh at the very least

perris said:
then put an ie icon on your firebird shortcut and make the toolbar resemble ie...also keep a firebird icon shortcut, and keep that toolbar looking like firebird
Yeah I was thinking why not just change all your IE shortcut paths to FF :)

that is a great idea but some people that use my computer know how to use IE and for some reason prefer to use it. The ones that know how to use it I don't mind using it. And they know how to get to it without any blatant shortcuts around...but those are great ideas

If you use NTFS permissions on the IE executable, only the allowed users can run it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back