Host resolution slow

kentcb

OSNN Newbie
Hi,

I have a website running on my main machine at home (WinXP SP2). I have set the website as my home page in my browser (IE7) using the host name.

Every time I open IE7 there is a long lag between the browser opening and the home page opening (up to 10 seconds). Using localhost instead of the host name is likewise very slow. When I changed the home page to use the IP address instead of the host name, that works very quickly.

Anyone know why using the host name would be so much slower?

Thanks

LordOfLA

Godlike!
disable the DNS client service.

You can do this by bringing up the run dialogue (windows key + R)
type services.msc and click okay.
Scroll down to DNS Client and right click it.
Choose properties and set the run mode to disabled from automatic. Click stop then apply and then ok.
exit the services control panel and run the host lookup again. It should be faster.

LordOfLA

Godlike!
That's very odd. Hmm I'm going out on a limb here but take a look at http://www.opendns.com/ and tell windows to use their DNS servers instead of your ISP's. They have detailed instructions if you are not sure how to do this yourself.

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
lord, that shouldn't effect the resolution for the local host name though. As I understand it, he mentions no issues when resolving external hosts, only his own machine hostname.

Just out of curisoty, if you drop into a command prompt and do nslookups, do you see the same delay?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2mytru