Hook Stero Up to PC

C

cs-cky

i am gonna get a new serto system for my room for my birthday. this is the one i am getting.
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11027903&m=1&cat=1552&scat=242#recommended
i want to know if any one has it and if it is a good buy. i am also wondering what is the best way to hook it up to my computer. i have a spdif and a optical out. i think i can get the spdif to work but how do i use the optical. do i just buy a cable and plug it in and thats it?

?? spell, dammit ?? spell - S t e r e o say it with me now

Someone is drinking way too much...
Beer.gif

S T E R E O
your right i'v been drinking way to much orange juice.
lol

I'd use SPDIF since I think that's easier to do than optical. I don't know how easy these opticals are, but I've heard that optical cables are harder to work with. Plus the Coax cable should be alot cheaper than an optical fibre. The data going through them are basically the same anyway (both digital at least).

And, technically, the word STEREO is wrong too since it's a 5.1 surround system... ;)

You appear to have red/white phono plug auxiliary output on stereo.
Its simple to connect these outputs to 3.5 mm sound card input on computer

it also says optical could i use that . i have optical on my computer

yes. try optical first. you just need theoptical fibre cable and it should work. you might need to enable an option in your sound card preferences.

Definitely try to get the optical connection working, the quality will be muchos better :D

Optical is no harder to get working than SPDIF is.... and that means it's easy! all you do is plug in the cable, set the receiver to the right input, set up the computer to output digital, and BAM, it works.

i havea nforce motherboard with a spdif card. IT is soundstorm how do i get it to wetup on optical or will it work automatically

it'll be in the nForce Control Panel under speaker setup. Here's a pic for you, set it up like that, and everything will be fine!

should all your premix volume levels be maxed out like that? you're probably putting a strain on the preamp and losing quality because of it. put em all in the middle.

Team,

Actually moving digital information Optically has it limitations (for example distance between components is restricted) and well as a lot of extra complexity, and that's why it is not the "perfect" method for digital information transfer.

I've heard most Recievers manufacturers are going to phase out the Optical (Toslink) system. Other than adding cost (a serious no no to most OEMs), it requires a digital signal be converted to Optical the tranmitted via fiber, reconverted to digital and then sent into a processor for decoding into analogue before going onto the preamplifiers. It much simpler to transfer the digital signal direct via SPDIF (Sony Phillips Digital InterFace - if I remember :eek: ) without all the reconversion at each end (and little restriction on distance). It is less costly, and provides a cleaner signal to the preamplifiers.

By the way, I use Optical from my standalone DVD to my reciever as I've only got one SPDIF input and that's already used from my digital cable box that has no optical output. I really don't think cs-cky should worry as most folks probably won't be able to hear the difference anyway :rolleyes:

I hope this was helpful.

Regards,

Jim:cool:

Originally posted by jimsathome
I really don't think cs-cky should worry as most folks probably won't be able to hear the difference anyway :rolleyes:
If you mean difference between optical and SPDIF, then noone will hear any difference ever since both are digital and can transport the same amount of information.

Originally posted by taurus
should all your premix volume levels be maxed out like that? you're probably putting a strain on the preamp and losing quality because of it. put em all in the middle.

I only have a 2 speaker setup, and that's the nvidia default for the premix...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back