Home wireless network

• Thread starter lad_in_brum
  • Start date
L

lad_in_brum

My problem: Broadband connection is upstairs and my playstation 2 is downstairs, so currently i cave a cat5 cable trailing around my house.

Has anyone tried on-line gaming using a wireless network?, any hints / tips etc.

I was looking at the below two wireless routers,

D-Link DI-614+ Wireless Cable/DSL Router (UK), (which apparently is PS2 compatable)

or the Linksys Wireless Access Point Router - 4 Port Switch (which doesnt say its playstation compatable)

Currently i have a 512 boradband connection, but soon i'll upgrade to 1mb.

As im not a technical person i would be grateful for advice on which wireless router to go for......is it worth spending the extra ££'s on the router that states is playstation compatable?

i would pay the bit extra and get the compatible one, that way you have more fun gaming instead of trying to fix it all the time ..

802.11b = 11mbs which is plenty enough for gaming as long as you can achieve a good signal.

I have an access point in the top floor of my house (3 storys) and the walls and floors are solid stone and about 3 foot thick, yet i can still stream movies to my laptop on the ground floor.

One thing is, i am running at 100milliwat on both access point and client.

The UK law only allows 50milliwatt.

So if you buy the kit from UK = 50mw max.

I am running the DI 614+ currently...

dlink routers have data transfer of 22mbps v/s 11 mbps for other 2.4ghz routers... but as waddy said this depends on the connection strength :)

I have had no problems with my dlink so far... :)

-edit- note that the data transfer rates are theoretical peaks.. you will NOT be hitting that and are unlikely to come close...

Sazar - so you are gaming with no "weird" lag problems using a wireless router?

What type games? Multiplayer first person shooters, strategy, role playing, all of the above?

I have a friend considering going wireless. Too many kids and a 3 level house are challenging his wiring abilities.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back