• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Home WiFi Solutions

S

seeme

Just did a forum search, and the last time this question was asked was last year.

--I have about AUS$750 (US375) of someone elses money to spend on setting up a home wireless network solution.

i have 2 laptops, 3 pcs and a server machine that we will hook up to our ADSL connection.

As the technology is changing so quickly, i'm finding it a difficult subject to research the quality of the hardware.

My question is:::

What hardware should i purchase to run this WiFi networking solution?? Should i go for the b+ specification, or wait until the g is stadardized??

thanks,

jeremy

I

Indomidable

Well it depends on speed and money
while 802.11a(54mbps) b (11mbps) g (54mbps)
For discussion on A vs B see this link

For discussion of G see this link although this article is a bit old hmm looking for something more recent...
<edit>
Not much about the finilized A vs G but Cisco and D-link are to have all in one compatable access points for A, B, and G standards. These are due sometime soon. Also, they've enhanced B to get a max of 22mbps.
(My Usual Recommendation)
Don't get a wireless for home lan unless it's for the laptops only, a 100mbps home network w/switch is far cheaper, faster, and more secure.
<edit 2>
I've only had hands on with netgear, since they are Nortell's sub company they're very nice, but 3Com also has a good name in the communications area. I cannot tell you the diffrence in their output but I'd recommend getting the A or G's they're faster and G is backward compatable. BTW: D-Link is a good brand too with nice warrantys.

S

seeme

thanks for those links.

my question was also relating more to the difference between the SAME standards within the products..

a bit like the graphics card situation, where you can have the same chip in different cards from different companies, and get different performance results.

for example, would a netgear b+ outperform a 3com solution??

is there anyone with some hands on experience with WiFi that would be willing to go out on a limb and give me their informed opinion please??

;)

Well I saw at test on WiFi stuff a while ago comparing different brands, but it won't do you any good since A: it's in Swedish and B: I don't have the URL.

But there are probably some tests out there. Try Tom's.

S

seeme

unfortunately, Tom hasnt included a product comparison on his web page yet :( otherwise i would have had a good source of comparison!! :)

im still interested in anyones opinion please!

thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seggar