Home page not showing

kingsam

OSNN Addict
When i connect to the net,via b/band my homepage(plusnet)will not show it just comes up the white page saying check your browser settings etc.It does the same when i change to a different homepage.If i wait 10seconds or so then refresh the page it comes up.I cant figure it out.I have winxp pro and all the latest updates.Its nothing to do with plusnet,cause i had the same prob when i was with pipex.Any ideas anyone??I have mcafee virus installed & zonealarm.:cry:

This little problem is doing my head in,does anyone have any sugguestions.Please Help...:cry:

Sounds like it might be a browser hijack. See if you can ping the web address. Open up the command prompt and enter ping www.plusnet.com, or whatever the URL is. If you get good replies then there is nothing wrong with the site.

Check your HOSTS file -- located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ -- open it with Wordpad. If there is anything besides 127.0.0.1 - localhost then it might be suspicious. If you've never intentionally added anything there before then I'd delete the other entries, especially if one is for plusnet.

Download Ad-Aware, Spybot and HijackThis and run them to check for any malicious software. Post back with results or questions if you have them. :)

installed ewido program & ran it.Found nothing.Tryed adware away,and cleanup,but still no success.this is the page i get up.i dont know what else to try apart from formatting,and i dont really want to do that.

Attachments

• screen blank.bmp
    318.5 KB · Views: 70
Can you take a screenshot of all your running processes in task manager?

Also, I assume you tried everything I mentioned previously... including the HOSTS file?

Were you able to ping the URL?

Sorry mate,can you explain where to find the hosts file exactly as i had a look but i cant see it.I will take a screenshot of my running tasks and up load it for you to have a look.The local computer shop says its just my isp doing a double check on my username/password thats why it loads the homepage about 5-10secs later....What do you think.Cheers:squareeye

Are you running Windows XP? If so then the HOSTS file should be in the directory I referred to previously.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

If you can't find it then you could try a search.

About the ISP double-checking... I really don't know either way on that one. You could always call them and ask. I also didn't realize the home page eventually loads for you. That would kind of rule out the HOSTS file blocking the site.

could be the connection is "asleep" after not being used for a while, the 10 second wait is the time it takes to wake up ;)

ok sounds like a bad connection.

If once you open the browser wait for the page to open, close the browser and open it again straight away, does the page load up quicker.

If it does its probably your modem logging you on to the isp. If it is still doing the same thing, it is probably spyware loading up in the background or possibly virus's. Do you have ms antivirus or any anti virus prog installed? if not download

Microsoft Antispyware and AVG free. Go into safe mode and run scans on both.

Also i would make sure your machine has all the ms updates there are available. This may correct the issue for you.

Can you tell u what o/s you are running?

actually i would suggest a complete switch!

That's what I'm talking about

Give it large mate!! :laugh:
:laugh:

lancer said:
actually i would suggest a complete switch!

Me too, but I'm don't want it to come across as if I'm forcing it. Certain people around here are very sensitive about suggesting Firefox to fix things. ;)

as you all know i blew sensitivity and PC to the fking wind when i popped out of my mother!!

"I said get me the **** out of here, and where the hell is my milk bi'atch" :)

lancer said:
as you all know i blew sensitivity and PC to the fking wind when i popped out of my mother!!

"I said get me the **** out of here, and where the hell is my milk bi'atch" :)

:laugh:

So how's it going kingsam? :p

Thanks all for the advice,LANCER tryed wot you said opened up ie,then closed it then opened up again and the page loaded straight away,so its my modem then?(speedtouch 330).I have Mcafee antivirus installed & xp pro,and have all the latest updates from msoft.Is it worth installed ms antispy or not.I use adware and spybot.Thanks for all your help on this matter guys,your knowledge is worth every penny or dollar!!:)
PS.muzikool good luck for the wedding mate!

i would try this, if you haven't already, unplug your modem and router if you have one and leave them unplugged for about a minute. plug them both in at the same time and see if this helps.

Are you using the usb or the rj45 cable (network), for the modem.

if its the usb try this driver.
http://www.speedtouch.com/support.htm

Is your modem sharing the name line as the house phone, if so consider moving the phone and having the modem directly plugged into the wall bypassing the splitter, but with the tongle, the thing that converts the signal plugged in.

Otherwise i would see if your isp can update the firmware for the modem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back