Home Networking Problem

S

Space cowboy

Hi guys ,awsome forum..let me get to the point.
i have 2 pc's running XP Pro on cable modem with a switch,
both have seperate IP's via DHCP..i have always used
NWLink IPX/SPX Netbios compatable as a protcol for home network..I.E sharing files and printer..it always seemed pretty slow as i have 10/100 cards and switch.i was reading where just using tcp/ip is alot faster..so i removed NWLink IPX/SPX Netbios
from both pc's..and now.i cant see the other on the network..all sharing is done correctly..ran home network wizard..again on both pc;s.turned off firewall..tried both simple file sharing on and off..what am i missing??

You'll need to use IPX\SPX for file sharing on a local network in XP. TCP\Ip is always slower since it is limited while IPX\SPx is pretty much unlimited.

Well guys..i have ALWAYS used IPX/SPX but my transfers from pc to pc have seemed pretty slow.i mean..takes like forever to transfer big files..so what could i do to improve speed?? i guess ill reinstall SPX/IPX protcol again..

Originally posted by jvjb1983
You'll need to use IPX\SPX for file sharing on a local network in XP. TCP\Ip is always slower since it is limited while IPX\SPx is pretty much unlimited.
What do you mean limited? In speed? No. In functions? No. It may be a bit slower than IPX in some configurations (or so I heard), but it's not limited.

Space cowboy:
Just use TCP/IP, Windows is made to run it, it's installed by default. If you have IP:s and both computers are in the same Workgroup it should work. Perhaps you must check the checkbox Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in your TCP/IP advanced settings?

if your running xp pro on both, it loads tcp/ip by default, it works with the internet, it does all the setting up by its self pretty much or with wizard........ why would you bother with anything else? why create more headaches?

don't understand

even netware uses tcp/ip now..........

i agree with u guys,i want just one protocol..as far as speed.i mean.if i transfer a 500 meg file from one pc to another.it takes forever..it should transfer at 100mb..i tried just tcp/ip and both in same workgroup but only pc that shows up is the one im checking with..IE.they dont see each other...ill try checking checkbox to Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in your TCP/IP advanced settings

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back