home network?

B

bhxtyrant

im currently about to build a custom PC but after i build it i will still keep my old PC for family users and i want to set the two up to share an internet connection.my question is can i do this via usb port?by connecting a cable from usb to usb on the other PC?im new to this so i dont got a clue.both PC's will use windows xp pro edition and i use verizon online DSL service.

Ok first question is do you have an external DSL modem? If you have external DSL modem it makes this a lot easier. Ok now the what you need. 2 ethernet cards, a DSL/cable Router with a built in ethernet hub, and two catorgy 5 cables. To set it up plug the modem into the WAN port on the router and the two computer into the LAN ports, and plug the other end of the cables into each ethernet card on each computer and then run the network wizard.

If you need more help try the link below.

Try here for more help

i have an external westell DSL modem but i have a question on my modem it can be connected to the PC by usb port or ethernet card i have it connected to the PC im on now through the network card so does that mean i can take the extra usb cord and connect it to another pc at the same time?

No you'll need a special link cable. But I always say: Networks over ethernet, USB is for other stuff. If you want to do it right, get a router.

The way I did it was I bought a switch plugged in my modem and both computers to it. (Unfortunetly this is problably the most insecure way to have a network running) So setting up a firewall on both computers is a must (I just used winxp's built in firewall) btw use ethernet or firewire for networking, usb is too slow.

Originally posted by tens1on
The way I did it was I bought a switch plugged in my modem and both computers to it. (Unfortunetly this is problably the most insecure way to have a network running) So setting up a firewall on both computers is a must (I just used winxp's built in firewall) btw use ethernet or firewire for networking, usb is too slow.
This will ONLY work IF:
1. The modem has a built-in NAT router or...
2. ...your ISP will give you more than one IP. Most do not.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back