Home network problem

tyler_warren

OSNN Newbie
I have three computers on my home network. All are wireless and all have NIS and NSW. Two computers can access each other without a problem. However, the last one can not be accessed by the other two, but shows up on the network. It can however access the other two with no problem. All computers are set to allow other computers on the network to see them. Saw a similar thread, but not quite what i was looking for.

My early guess would be some type of Firewall problem. Both NIS and XP Pro have firewalls, what are they set to on each machine?

I have disabled windows firewall, Using NIS I have set permissions allowing all compouters to allow access to the network. This problem has just started recently however. I haven't checked router settings, but i dont think that its there. I will look however.

What has changed hardware/software wise in the environment since it stopped working, if anything?

nothing has changed, thats what i dont get. If I turn off NIS it works fine for the most part, I have even reinstalled NIS thinking that my be part of it, same problem. Just Having problems with one computer though. I even redid wireless network setup and its still not wanting to cooperate with me.

Well if you turn off NIS and everything works, there-in lies your problem. When you say "for the most part", is there anything that still doesn't work?

And by turning it off, do you mean the firewall, or the entire application?

I'm thinking NIS has little to do with it somehow, maybe user permissions based on the error message i get. It says that the computer is not available and that i dont have permission to access the network resource. then it gives me a logonFailure: the user has not been granted the logon type at this computer.

That particular error is related to network communication believe it or not. That message indicates the user account you are trying to use does not have access, but more than likely can't authenticate to it due to a firewall or some other method of blocking. Are the machines receiving IP's statically, or through DHCP?

I got it. The local policy settings had somehow set themselves to not allow anyone access to the computer. I set it to allow everyone and that took care of the problem. Everything seems to be working fine now. I dont know how that changed. Thanks for the help.

Glad you got it fixed and posted the solution (I hate it when people don't do that).

Especially when you come across a thread via google.

tyler_warren said:
I got it. The local policy settings had somehow set themselves to not allow anyone access to the computer. I set it to allow everyone and that took care of the problem. Everything seems to be working fine now. I dont know how that changed. Thanks for the help.

That is silly, and a bit strange that un-installing NIS would modify that (as you said it was working atm). Anyways, like Admiral Mike said, glad you got it fixed and posted back :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back