home network problem

F

fitfella29

im trying to network two comps together but when i run the network setup wizard on my pc ( the main computer in the network) i get this "cannot complete the network setup wizard,an error occured during configuration of the network on this computer"

both are running xp,any ideas anyone?

is the router also a dhcp server??? if so, your pc's should have picked up an address (verify by going to start --> run --> cmd...once in the "DOS" window, type in ipconfig /all ...you should see an ip address with some other info)....if you don't have an IP address try giving the pc's a static address (192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 for example) Also make sure that both PC's are in the same workgroup (rt click on My Computer --> properties, Got to Computer Name tab)

...what type of router???

netgear rp614.

router is working fine just that i cant get them networked to share files and folders etc etc etc

if the internet is working on both, then protocols should be ok...did you share out folders in windows??? and are the computers in the same workgroup in windows???

So you mean Internet works fine? In that case file sharing problems are usually caused by the XP firewall (or other software firewall) or permission settings on the folders you share. Also make sure they are properly named and in the same workgroup.

Most common problem is the firewall setting.
I always forget to make sure that the firewall accepts connections within a LAN. (i.e. allow communications to and from an ip starting 192.168.x.x)

The other one is actually allowing a folder to be shared.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back