Home n/w Sharing printer ?

dz2k

OSNN Junior Addict
hi all. i setup my win xp home desktop(1) to share a printer for my home n/w.(wep enabled) i also have another win xp pro desktop(2) and a win vista laptop(3). i AM able to print to that printer ONLY when the desktop(1) is on. is that how its supposed to be?
Ex Im on laptop in my living room and my main desktop is off in computer room. i try to print a document on laptop and it just stays queued. if i turn on desktop(1) and try to print on laptop...it prints out right away. The question is how to print from desktop(2) or laptop(3) at all times??

hi all. i setup my win xp home desktop(1) to share a printer for my home n/w.(wep enabled) i also have another win xp pro desktop(2) and a win vista laptop(3). i AM able to print to that printer ONLY when the desktop(1) is on. is that how its supposed to be?
Ex Im on laptop in my living room and my main desktop is off in computer room. i try to print a document on laptop and it just stays queued. if i turn on desktop(1) and try to print on laptop...it prints out right away. The question is how to print from desktop(2) or laptop(3) at all times??

Whatever computer that your printer is physically connected to MUST be on...if it's not, it cannot communicate with the printer!

In order to print with the computer off you need something called a print server. Here's a few examples from DLink

http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=10&sec=0

It allows the printer to connect directly to the network but you have to remember that if it has a scanner then the scanner part wont work. If its just a printer then this method will work fine.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back