HL2 Source Leak

April 2004 is a long way off, another 4 month delay on top of a 3 month delay.

Maybe the game wasnt as finished as they thought, as I dont believe they would have to rewrite the chunk of code that was taken.

I must be missing something. The code that was stolen .... were all copies of it destoryed as well?

1/3 of the source code was stolen.... which doesn't mean a single physical item was removed. A copy of part of the source code was made. (which does not include any of the graphics, model designs, sounds, etc.).

Why does that delay the games release for so many months? They didn't loose anything. It makes no sense.....

They miss their release date and then a few days later this story comes out. I could understand may a two-week dealy where they stop working and overhaul their entire network security. But, we're talking about at SEVEN MONTH delay here.

Something just smells really funny. Did they run into some problems at the end of their development of the game and the code theft popped up just in time to be used as an excuse?

:confused:

Let me try and be careful here.... :eek: This is a quote from the front page of a site that exists to list things that people can (umm...) download. Just for FYI:

This packed file is 30 MB. Unpacked its aorund 100 MB and contains source files. These files can be used to create programs. These programs are nice, the code is fun to look at, but you have no Half-Life 2. Whats missing is the resources, all the models, levels, scripts, textures, etc. If you program (really, not just html or something like that...) and are fluent in C++ then this might be interesting for you to look at. And if you are a competitor of Valve you have it already anyways.

To 99,9% of the people reading this, the file will be USELESS. To the rest, it might be interesting to look at, see how they structured things, have a hands on look at their game engine and stuff, but not of real value. And about cheats... Forget it. Until you have the resources, you cant write real cheats for it that would work in online play. And the other ones in singleplayer are easy as hell anyways. So stop talking about that.

i heard that there is a leaked version of the thing thats almost like a complete beta. its like 1.3 gig

Originally posted by Vorpal
I must be missing something. The code that was stolen .... were all copies of it destoryed as well?

1/3 of the source code was stolen.... which doesn't mean a single physical item was removed. A copy of part of the source code was made. (which does not include any of the graphics, model designs, sounds, etc.).

Why does that delay the games release for so many months? They didn't loose anything. It makes no sense.....

They miss their release date and then a few days later this story comes out. I could understand may a two-week dealy where they stop working and overhaul their entire network security. But, we're talking about at SEVEN MONTH delay here.

Something just smells really funny. Did they run into some problems at the end of their development of the game and the code theft popped up just in time to be used as an excuse?

:confused:

basically if they released it now right when u get the game there will be cheats and trainers/hacks on the net. how would you like to spend 50 bucks on a game the day it came out then go home get in a game of multi and find out half the server is hacking and using aim bots or god mode cheats, I personaly would take it right back to the store. I would expect a good year out of it b4 the game starts to get like that not the day after release.....

A wee bit more info/confirmations...
from halflife2.net
As most of you in IRC and on the forums already know, a pre-release version of Half-Life 2 has found its way onto Peer-to-peer, IRC, and web warez networks around the globe.

We ask all of our participants of our community, both in our IRC channel (irc.quakenet.org #halflife2) and our forum, to remain as sensible and calm about the situation as possible. We will not hesitate to ban users posting screenshots of the source, where to get the source, code from the source, the file name of the Half-Life 2 pre-release, where to get the pre-release or any content remotely similar to this likeness.

If you do insist on discussing the pre-release (in an appropriate, and legal manner), we would prefer you do it in our IRC channel (irc.quakenet.org #halflife2) rather than in our forums, for moderation related reasons.

Screenshots: http://www.neowin.net/staff/creamhackered/halflife2/

Originally posted by Vorpal
Let me try and be careful here.... :eek: This is a quote from the front page of a site that exists to list things that people can (umm...) download.

Well put! ;) I've seen sites like that, I'll concur that the source leak is only about 30MB.

Cartoon idea:

In the Background: Four very geeky looking teenagers in Ninja gear with "super hacker" wording on their cloths - counting massive wads of 100 bills.

In the Foreground: John Carmack inserting the HL2 code into Doom3

:D

Originally posted by Bronx Bomber
i dont think that ATI leaked the source code of HL2, after paying $6 million to be partners with Valve.
Although having Nvidia do it, after Valve choosing ATI as a partner, would make more sense, it would be the end of Nvidia as a company if they were caught.
Prolly some guy who new some1 on the inside and just social engineered his way in. It was done quite well, imo.

the $6 million is inquirer speculation... others speculate it is m$/ati partnership related...

who knows...

Originally posted by HandyBuddy
Well put! ;) I've seen sites like that, I'll concur that the source leak is only about 30MB.
31.2MB Rar'd and around 160MB extracted.

Originally posted by Krux
whoever it is running that.... there computer sucks it looks like caca. nothing is bump mapped or shiney....
It's not meant as a technology demo, just proof of the beta's existence, although halflife2.net confirmed the leak soon after.

All right - take that Sazar....

Whooooooooo

;)

*runs around giggling like a little girl*

So - does that now mean that Valve are telling everyone porkies or is everyone running around downloading Gay Pron?

Originally posted by Bronx Bomber
the source code leak is just over 31 megs
We've established that :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sazar
its supposed to be the e3 demo thinger... afaik...
According to the fella who poasted on HL2.net...
It's not a beta as such, it's the source compiled with resources, put together by people who had both the resources and the know-how. I called it a pre-release for a reason, instead of labeling it an alpha or beta.
Guess the only people who really know are the anonymous leaker and people who have it (maybe)

but, as i only have 2 gigs left, out of a total of 240, its either the HL2 beta or 3 seasons of Selab 2021....

Originally posted by TheBlueRaja
So - does that now mean that Valve are telling everyone porkies or is everyone running around downloading Gay Pron?

The "beta" was only leaked today, any previous files were fake :)

Incidentally - From HalfLifeSource.com

According to a news article posted today on a UK press release, there is a Half-Life 2 delay. We already know that Valve does is not mentioning a delay.

We received an email from Mike Thompson who says he works for Vivendi Universal and writes:

delay is not confirmed...

Here we go around and around... again...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back