Hint: installing XP on SATA drive

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
Heh. i get the feeling that someones gonna come in here and say "it's a pain". but... it doesn't have to be. For those of you who keep installing the SATA RAID drivers when it asks for drivers before installing windows, read more into it. it doesn't ask for SATA RAID drivers, only RAID. If you're using only one SATA drive, and your mobo has an on-board SATA controller, Check in your BIOS. I just installed mine, and there was a setting in my BIOS that could only be seen by doing that Ctrl + f1 thing (GigaByte 8IK1100 rev. 2.0 mobo) that automatically made a drive connected to a SATA channel as a RAID drive. all i did was disable that, and *poof*, Windows was able to install as if it were a normal old IDE drive. Surprisingly.... it also eliminated that Clicking noise i always heard when i would shut down my comp.

I think it also matters where, physically on the mobo, where the drive controller is: southbridge or pci bus.

is there even a mobo that puts it near the PCI bus? i've only ever seen them located near the IDE channels.

From GigaByte 8IK1100 rev. 2.0 manual
To enter Advanced BIOS setting menu, press "Ctrl+F1" key on the BIOS screen.
Hitting Ctrl+F1 to get into advanced bios setting does not apply to all boards and maybe it is only Gigabyte boards.I feel you should have maybe named the topic "Hint:installing on SATA drive on Gigabyte mainboard" and not just "Hint:installing on SATA drive " as the info you give will not work on all boards so people may get confused as to why it does not work with their board.​

reason i didn't name the thread that is because there is probably a setting for it on any mobo with an on-board SATA controller.

ElementalDragon said:
is there even a mobo that puts it near the PCI bus? i've only ever seen them located near the IDE channels.
you're thinking the PCI slots. PCI is more than physical slots...it's a bus :)

the physical location plays little part in how the SATA controller communacates with other components.

ElementalDragon said:
Not "near". "Connected to" the PCI bus.

Thanks for the clarification guys. What I really meant was if the SATA controller chip communicates with the PCI bus or with the southbridge controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back