High Speed Internet: Do You Get What You Pay For?

C

contender

ADSL 1024 Kbps Downstream - 512 Kbps Upstream: $51.69/Mth CAD.

My tested speed as I make this post is 2002-07-06 22:54:35 EST: 824 / 402 Your download speed : 824261 bps, or 824 kbps. A 100.6 KB/sec transfer rate. Your upload speed : 402117 bps, or 402 kbps. This is according to Broadbandreports.com

1.5down/256up
Earthlink adsl
$49.95
(free months for referring)

ATTBI Cable

1.5mbit down
128kbps up
Good uptime, very reliable

$46/month

JJB6486

Bostream ADSL
2.5 Mbit down
768 kbit up
$25/month
Only in Sweden :p

To bad I can't get it... :(
Oh well, I'll get my 10 Mbit fiber for $35/month around october. :D

Ds-1 for 35 bucks a month?

Jeez where on earth do u live. And are you a vip?

ATTBI

1.5Mbit/190K down 256kbit/30K UP

Right now $35 month starting in Jan $42 month :mad: :( :rolleyes: :mad:

Originally posted by Sprung
$34.95/mo through Insightbb gets me:

Download is nice, upload a bit slow.

I NEED upload speed if you know what I mean ;) :D

When I was with Road Runner, I was getting 2Mb/384Kb for $44.95. Now, I have ATTBI which is 1.5Mb/256Kb, but I pay $35.95 until the price goes up to $43.95.

Road Runner - $44.95/mo (x 2 boxes + 10.00 for extra IP)

2002-07-07 18:43:14 EST: 2414 / 206
Your download speed : 2414668 bps, or 2414 kbps.
A 294.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 206462 bps, or 206 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

Originally posted by -[xs]-mirage
Ds-1 for 35 bucks a month?

Jeez where on earth do u live. And are you a vip?
Sweden! :) Countryside! :D I'm not a VIP. $35 is considered high here. The spokeswoman from the ISP said on a meeting (for the people in our village who wanted the fiber installed) that they probably wouldn't go over $35 since they would loose too many customers. I liiiike it.

Besides my bro told me that his friends in town who have Bredbandsbolaget (The Broadband Company) pay $20 for their 10Mbit. B*stards...

I feel sorry for you guys who have to pay so much.

The spokeswoman from the ISP said on a meeting (for the people in our village who wanted the fiber installed) that they probably wouldn't go over $35 since they would loose too many customers.

Village? LOL.. there's the answer right there. bigger population + more bandwith needed = higher cost + less speed

Try getting high speed access in LA or New York. you'll pay 50 times as much for 500% less speed.

Actually, there is a new ISP opening in cities like LA, Sacramento, Houston, Dallas, and NY which is getting to offer 10Mb cable internet to customers for I believe $45. It's already up in Sacramento and work has already begun in the other cities.

Actually, there is a new ISP opening

Yeah new ISP's will always be good at the start (because thay dont have many customers). but trust me, as more and more people sign up (espeically in big cities) the speed/bandwith will slowly drop and prices will increase. When Road Runner first came to my area i was the first kid on the block to have it and i was HAULING @$$ on the information super highway :) but 5 years and quite a few downloads later, the charges were increased at least 4 times i can remeber, cable TV prices go up (and get a couple new channels) , speed goes down and thay cap my upload speed to 40KB/sec (i complained and thay fixed it).

My cable bill seems to be bigger and bigger each and every month it comes.

Originally posted by Shawn319
Village? LOL.. there's the answer right there. bigger population + more bandwith needed = higher cost + less speed
Not really...

bigger population + more bandwith needed = more money to spend (fees) + shorter lines between customers

smaller population + big area = long lines between customers + less money = very expensive + likely never happens

At least that's how it is here. That fiber is pure (almost) luck since they decided to run remote-heat pipes by the village. Some smart person thought: "Why not dig down fiber as well?". Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back