High-Pitched Squeaking Sound

D

davinwv

Hello:

There is a very annoying high-pitched squeaking sound coming from my Gateway Performance 1400. The sound seems to only be present when the computer is at rest. In other words, it stops whenever I launch a program, scroll down a web page, etc., but as soon as one of these activities stops, it begins again. I haven't had my case open yet, but it sounds like it is coming from an area just under the power supply at the top of the rear of the case (I replaced a bad power supply in February). It DOES NOT seem to be coming from the card slot area.

So, I guess it may be the HD. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Davin

Could be:
1. Monitor. Mine does in some resolutions. Try turning it off, see if the noise disappears.
2. Sound card interferance. Especially if it's an onboard card.
3. Or something else. I don't think it's the HD but it could be.

it could be your cpu fan , mine used to do this too, until i replaced it, but then my powersuply did the same thing.

It might be the little cow mooing to get off the treadmill. :rolleyes:

It could also be that one of the cables leading from a cdrom to the sound card could be causing it. Try muting your cdroms to see if the noise goes away. If it does, you need to shield the cable(s) from the electricity. I duct taped mine and it stopped the noise.

I've stopped both the CPU and power supply fans, but the noise did not go away. Now that I have my case apart, it sounds as if it is coming from inside the shielded part of the power supply.

Any thoughts??

BTW, how do you mute a CDROM or CDRW??

Thanks again,
Davin

First turn off your speakers. If the sound continues, then the cause it something NOT relating to your sound; ie sound card, cdrom sound cables, and speakers.

I'm pretty sure it's the power supply.

Thank you all for your help!

Davin

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back