high pitched noise

dubstar

format c:
im hearing a really high pitched noise from my computer, it sounds like its coming from the processor,.. should i stop my overclock?

unlug the cpu for for a second or 2, see if it's the fan.

I highly doubt the CPU will ever make any other sound than NULL or pff (when it burns).

Now, the sound is more likely to come from your moving parts, such as harddrive and / or fans. Unplug all fans (if possible) or just put your finger on the center (Hint: where there aren't any blades to slice you) and stop them... one at a time. Unplugging can be done while running, no problem... stopping MUST be done while running, hehe. No point in stopping a stopped fan, eh?

As for the harddrives, just unplug all (well...), reboot and listen. No sound? Plug them back in one at a time. Shut down, plug another etc etc. If you have more than one drive that is.

i pushed my over clocked 2500 from 2800, to 2700.. and it seemed to go away.

I'd say it was your CPU-fan then. Is it temperature controlled? If so, have it replaced... sounds like it's gonna die.

its the one that came with the retail 2500XP... its hooked up to the A7N8X Deluxe heatsink fan plug on the motherboard.. so if thats controlled by temperature, than yeah it is..

should i invest in a faster quieter fan? or maybe just a better heatsink to keep its temp down and sound down?

Retail fans aren't really top of the line. They do what they're made for, nothing more. While third party fans don't do any more, they often do it better. ;)

Originally posted by grimman
Retail fans aren't really top of the line. They do what they're made for, nothing more. While third party fans don't do any more, they often do it better. ;)

that flowed so smoothly, it was a poetic answer. you have enlightened me, seriously. funny how its an almost meaningless topic, and yet it can be ever so slightly modified to be a gloabaly-generic answer to many questions.

I'm pretty sure the deluxe MB has a speed control feature for the cpu fan header.

That whine is your cpu fan running full speed, probably 6200-6800 RPM. Backing off the over clocking until you get a quieter hsf will get rid of the noise. If the fan has a problem it usually sounds more like a rumble/vibration than a whine. Check the RPM under sisoft sandra or the asus utility.

LeeJend: My personal server EATS fans. CPU and graphics... I know what dying fans sounds like. ;)
The most common sound, though, is as you say, a rumble or whatever.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back