"Hide Inactive Icons" Unavailable after Installing SP1

V

Valek

Hello everyone,

I have experienced a strange phenomena in that after I installed SP1 for XP the icons in my system tray are no longer hidden. The setting is checked in the customization area of the task bar properties, I have tried setting certain Icons to Always Hide and that works, but as soon as I switch back to hide when inactive I still get the same thing. It's not because Windows hasn't had enough time to determine if they are indeed inactive or not as it has been about a week now. I have read several people's posts on the microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support newsgroup complaining of the same thing but no one has been able to offer a WORKING VIABLE solution to the problem. Anyone here got any ideas? C'mon Dealer :), C'mon Dirk Diggler :) Let's see some registry magic here....

Thanks for all the help folks...this truly is a wonderful place to find answers to your problems and make great friends.

Val

Have you tried clearing the tray notifications?

Open regedit
Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify
Delete: "IconStreams" and "PastIconsStream" values
Kill explorer.exe (using taskmanager)
Restart explorer.exe (using taskmanager, file, run)

After doing this, setting the systray icons to hide/show, etc. should stick.

Hi Madmatt
In your reply to Valek you said
Delete: "IconStreams" and "PastIconsStream" values.
Is that select "IconStreams", then click Modify and Delete everything inside that box? There isn't a Delete Button so I would have to highlight it all to delete it, and there is so much of it.
Or do you select "IconStreams" then right click and delete everything including "IconStreams"
Thanks mate
MrFred

Simply right click and choose delete. You want to delete everything.

That Did It

Thanks for the advice MadMatt, At first it didn't work but I guess it just took a little time to set. All is well now and working fine.

Val

...Only Thing is...

After I reboot...it takes it about another two hours to set again...Any Ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back