Hibernation in Vista

Guybrush

Village Idiot
Can someone tell me how enable Hibernation mode in VIsta? I used it all the time in Windows XP but cannot find it in Vista!

Many thanks

Click Start/all programs/Accessories.. right-click on the "command Prompt" and choose the option to "Run as Admin"

At the command prompt, type "powercfg -h on" (without the quotes)

edit: personally, I prefer the sleep mode in Vista.. much more useful than in previous incarnations of windows

I freaked out the first time I had my system go into hibernation :cool:

:)

But it works well in Vista.

Smooth, fast, consistent. No bsod's so far :)

I am running my system with a fresh install of Ultimate currently, going to go w/o folding on it for about a month or so just to check performance and some other features that don't communicate well with the folding client.

Come on stanford :) Need updates :D

You can also go into control panel and change power settings for sleep mode... ie. change sleep button to make machine go into hibernation instead of sleep.

You can also go into control panel and change power settings for sleep mode... ie. change sleep button to make machine go into hibernation instead of sleep.
you guys should use standby if you're not on a laptop...much faster restart

Last edited:
even on a laptop.. sleep/standby in Vista in much improved.. more like a hybrid between the old sleep mode and hibernation.

ming: you're right, you can change the sleep button to hibernate via the control panel, but I believe you still need to enable hibernation via the command line as mentioned above if it was disabled for some reason.

even on a laptop.. sleep/standby in Vista in much improved.. more like a hybrid between the old sleep mode and hibernation.

ming: you're right, you can change the sleep button to hibernate via the control panel, but I believe you still need to enable hibernation via the command line as mentioned above if it was disabled for some reason.
it's a great feature, I'm suggesting avoiding standby on laptop ONLY becuase the fan can still come on and if it's in your case you might overheat, the fan won't come on if you hybernate

in any event, when you standby on a laptop you have to make sure you set your power options to hybernate when the battery gets too low and this way even if the fan runs the battery down you'll still be in hybernate

a win win situation, EXCEPT if the fan comes on when it's in your case

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back