hibernate

Doom

OSNN Senior Addict
When I use hibernate. It shuts down ok. The problem is when i restart the pc. It almost starts up then I gat a black screen.

use standby, hibernate is for laptops, as far as i understand it. I am most likley wrong, but i have no idea why your comp is doing that.

Mine does that too. Wait a few seconds and the desktop will come back

JJB

Save yourself a LOT of disk space and turn this function off. As previously said by someone else... system standby will do the job also.

Check the root of your SYSTEM drive for HIBERNAT.SYS... Mine is around 400Mb.

Control Panel > Power Options > Hibernate [TAB]. Turning it off here, will delete your hibernat.sys file.

Regards,
Willem Moolenaar

Hibernate basically copies the actice RAM to the HDD and shuts down, saving the system state. So HIBERNAT.SYS will be equal to the amount of physical RAM you have in the computer.

And for clarification, the Hibernation shuts the PC completly down, standby olny puts it into a reduced power state. Modern computers will still have all the fans and stuff running whe in standby mode, therefore not conserving much power anyway. Hibernation reduces power usage to 0 and shuts the machine completly off, but allowing you to restore your session to where you left it

JJB

Both Hibernate and Standby use resources unnecessarily and both may cause problems. It's much easier on your system if you just set the display and hd to power down after a specified period of time.

allan - dummy question - Did I not read somewhere to set the monitor to turn off before the hard drive?

If so - does it really matter - or can I just set them both for say 20 minutes??

Also how does this affect the screen saver? - If screen saver turns on after 10 minutes and monitor turns off after say 20 minutes - I end up with sound from the screen saver and no monitor. What if I turn off the hdd after say 25 minutes - no nothing?

:confused:

Hey damnyank - I have my display powering down after 25 mins and the hd after 30, but it's really no big deal one way or the other.

As for screen savers, if I remember correctly I believe 3D screensavers will overide power down options while standard 2D screensavers will not - but I'm not 100% certain of that. But I'm not a big fan of screensavers either. They also keep the system active for absolutely no reason (I know, they're pretty).

In the old days you needed screensavers to prevent burn-in. But with today's displays that's no longer a concern.

Thanx allan - I know, I know - but I have this really nice Princess Di screensaver and with the wife being from England - she likes to watch it - in return I get to play all day on the puter - sounds like a good trade off to me!!

:D

[edit] Just an after thought - do you suppose a screen saver would prevent an automatic restore point form being made - since the system has to be "idle" for a certain period of time to do the auto restore point??? I'll have to play with it in the near futrue and let you know. [edit]

damnyank, sounds like you got you priority's messed up, u need to put down the mouse and play with the wife all day, not the puter. :)

:cool:

Iceman - she's too fast - I can't catch her and the mouse is on the end of a cable and can't run too far!!

Oh no - I didn't say that - please don't go there!

I can hear all the comments about kinky mouses etc!!!

:p :p

I'll be watching this thread, you are a pervert damnyank, LOL

Originally posted by damnyank
Iceman - she's too fast - I can't catch her and the mouse is on the end of a cable and can't run too far!!

Oh no - I didn't say that - please don't go there!

I can hear all the comments about kinky mouses etc!!!

:p :
p
Get back to the question.

What's the wife got to do with shutting down a computer.

First of all volvo122 - welcome to XP-perience!

Are ya married???

:D :D CHill we are only kdding around!

Who's kidding? Wife's are deadly serious subjects :)

Yes, welcome to XP-erience volvo122, we only started kidding around after the original question got answered.

The problem may be that your nice Princess Di screensaver needs to access the HDD every once in a while. In that case, your HDD will never go to standby. It doesn't matter if you have your monitor standby before your HDD does or vice-versa.

Kind regards,
Willem Moolenaar

my computer still does not hibernate [sensible answers only please]
THE FLYING SCOTSMAN

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back