Hibernate and Harddrive

dont see why not, on resume i imagin it will pick it up + install it as normall.

What kinda of HD are you talking about? A "hot swapable" drive should be fine. If your talking about opening up your case and trying to add a IDE drive or something while the computer is in hibernation then no, you can't. :p

Yes was a Ide one didnt wana turn it off then sign back in to msn and stuff lol

with Win XP, you want plug n play with the drives. :p
I got a little icon at the bottom for safely removing plug n play devices... however, it's only got my SATA drive (my only drive) on the list. lol

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to, altho I wouldnt advise it.

Xie: Hibernate is a power off function, if it was in Standby then the answer is no. But hibernate should be ok, altho not advisable.

Admiral Michael said:
I dont see why you wouldnt be able to, altho I wouldnt advise it.

Xie: Hibernate is a power off function, if it was in Standby then the answer is no. But hibernate should be ok, altho not advisable.
Well as you said, it may be possible but not something you would/should recommend. If you really NEED to add another drive without shutting down perhaps external drive would fit the bill?

Xie said:
Well as you said, it may be possible but not something you would/should recommend. If you really NEED to add another drive without shutting down perhaps external drive would fit the bill?
Xie, there is nothing wrong with adding an internal drive to the system when the machine is hibernating. It's a completely powered down state (unlike Standby, where power is still being supplied to your RAM modules). Adding the drive during hibernation is almost the same as adding it when the system is "shut down" - when you resume from hibernation, the system will detect the new drive, install the drivers for you and (may) prompt you to reboot the machine, if necessary.

I would agree that there is almost no possibility of the drive or system being hurt by adding it during hibernation, as the PC is powered off and the OS state data is written to the existing harddrive.

The BIOS would see the new drive on boot, but the OS might not see the drive, the only reason I say this is I believe winders scans for new non-PNP hardware on actual startup, not resume form hibernation.

50/50 chance, it all depends on how winders was coded and if it looks back to the IDE interface for new hardware on anything other than a boot.

Good point, Steevo. The worst that could happen then would be a reboot after resuming from hibernation so that the OS can detect the drive. The process wouldn't have an adverse effect on either the hardware or software though. :)

Reps out :up:

Thanks couldnt find anything on google, ''external drive'' I got a USB 2 one but at back up about 40 gigs and was goin to slow :p

People there is some bad advice here. You should always power down and remove the ac from your electronics before tinkering inside. Accidents happen and if your PC is attached to your AC serious damage could happen. Suppose you drop a chasis screw into the powersuply while i'ts pluged in or accidently hit the reset button while tinkering? It is always better to pull the plug if you are going inside your electronics.

You can unplug when computer is in Hibernate, plug back in and starts up form where you left off :up:

paul2-0-0-2 said:
You can unplug when computer is in Hibernate, plug back in and starts up form where you left off :up:

Ya, hibernate is POWER OFF method, its just windows that behaves differently.

drz01 said:
People there is some bad advice here. You should always power down and remove the ac from your electronics before tinkering inside. Accidents happen and if your PC is attached to your AC serious damage could happen. Suppose you drop a chasis screw into the powersuply while i'ts pluged in or accidently hit the reset button while tinkering? It is always better to pull the plug if you are going inside your electronics.
Again, "Hibernate" is a completely powered-down state. You can unplug the machine's power cables, remove the battery (if it's a notebook), carry it across the continent, plug everything back in and when you turn it back on, everything will be back to the way it was when you turned it off. :)

NetRyder said:
Again, "Hibernate" is a completely powered-down state. You can unplug the machine's power cables, remove the battery (if it's a notebook), carry it across the continent, plug everything back in and when you turn it back on, everything will be back to the way it was when you turned it off. :)

Yes i understand this but everyone failed to tell this person to ulplug his rig.

drz01 said:
Yes i understand this but everyone failed to tell this person to ulplug his rig.
Yeah, that's good advice. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

yeah.... and how many times would that actually happen too? i mean.... it's not like it's the EASIEST thing to drop a screw into your power supply. there aren't holes that are very big on power supplies, unless you're dismantling a laptop hard drive while hovering over your power supply. And dropping a screw on the motherboard while the computer is powered off wouldn't really do too much of anything either cause a) not too many things actually have power going to it when it's plugged in and the computer is off. If you're lucky, maybe a little light signaling if your RAM is good to go or something, and the power button itself. And even if you DID drop a screw, not too many traces on a recent motherboard are actually exposed.... or not that i've really seen/remember, cept for possibly on the BACK of the motherboard.

drz01 said:
This was more my point, though I failed to just come out and say it that way I guess. :p

ElementalDragon said:
yeah.... and how many times would that actually happen too?
Yeah but what if it does? It might only take that one in a million chance to kill (or seriously hurt) yourself. It takes 2 secounds to unplug your box and go to town on it. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back