hiberfil & pagefile ??

D

daleholden

Hi

Can anybody tell me why i have two file that are big files.

1. hiberfile 523,812kb

2. pagefile 786,432kb

I think the 2nd file used to be call a swap file but cannot find any information out about hiberfile? Why would i need two big files on my C:/ directory?

Can i delete any or are they essential?

Hiberfil.sys is the file for the Hibernation Mode, when your computer goes into hibernation it moves all information that is held in RAM and places that info into this file.
Pagefile.sys is your Paging File, it is information held in faster memory to help in the recovery of information, this is good.

BUT NO ONE ANSWERED THE QUESTION, why are they so big?

OK, the hiberfil.sys will match the size/amount of RAM you have, if you have 512Mb of RAM, your hiberfil.sys will be 512Mb. If you have 256Mb of RAM, the Hiberfil.sys will be 256Mb. It matches the size/amount of RAM so that it can guarantee all information open at the time of hibernation will fit in the file.

Pagefile.sys is created by the Operating System to help you get to information recently used/seen. It is faster than normal memory, but slower than RAM. It can be any size you like but the old rule of thumb is/was one-and-a-half times the amount of RAM.

Does this answer your question?

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
OK, the hiberfil.sys will match the size/amount of RAM you have, if you have 512Mb of RAM, your hiberfil.sys will be 512Mb. If you have 256Mb of RAM, the Hiberfil.sys will be 256Mb. It matches the size/amount of RAM so that it can guarantee all information open at the time of hibernation will fit in the file.

Pagefile.sys is created by the Operating System to help you get to information recently used/seen. It is faster than normal memory, but slower than RAM. It can be any size you like but the old rule of thumb is/was one-and-a-half times the amount of RAM.

Does this answer your question?

Yes it answers the question, I only noticed how high the files were today :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back