HEX Conversion

R

Ramanuman

Hi folks,
Would someone be kind enough to tell me how to operate a conversion in HEX ?

-I'd like to tweak my diskcaching according to the instructions below, but I have 320m of RAM.
(I thought simply clicking HEX on the scientific calculator would do it, but when I tested it, it gave me completely different results than the ones in the examples...)

Here's the tip (it's from this site) :

«Speed up Diskcache
Open Regedit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory ManagementIoPageLockLimit];
Modify the value in Hex depending on the size of your RAM
RAM: modified value(Hex)
64M: 1000;
128M: 4000;
256M: 10000;
512M or more: 40000.
Reboot. »

Thanx.
Ciao

just goto your registry, edit the key and put it in as decimal, then click the hexadecimal button and it will convert it over automatically :)

Thanx Qumahlin!
I figured that was an option but: "when in doubt, do nothing"... (especially when it concerns your registry).

Only one thing though : maybe I misunderstood the tip in question, because 1000 doesn't appear to be the hexadecimal value for 64, as I thought the example meant...
-Would it be that the values given are constant ? If so then I'm still wondering which one I'll have to use for 320m.

Think I may have found it...

64 X 64 = 4096. Once converted in HEX, it gives 1000
128 X 128 = 16384. In HEX : 4000.
And so on.
So I just multiplied 320 by itself and converted.

1. goto the calculator
2. click in the "Hex" radio button
3. type in the Hexidecimal number
4. click the "Dec" radio button
5. the answer is in the window

Thanks xxbigeyedfishxx, but that's not quite the problem after all.
Converting to and from HEX is rather simple indeed. But what I need (or needed?) to figure out was what value to enter for 320m...

In the examples they gave :
64m : 1000
128m : 4000
256m : 10000
512m : 40000

My original question was based on the assumption that the corresspondances above were a matter of converting the amount of ram in HEX. But the given values didn't correspond. So I had to try and figure out how to end up with 10000 when starting from 64 ; with 40000 from 128 ; etc., in order to be able to calculate the value for 320m.
(Do you all follow?)

Finally, somehow it hit me :
If you take any of the amounts of ram in the examples, multiply them by themselves, and then transform the result in HEX, you do obtain the corresponding values.

So I multiplied 320 X 320 and got 102400.
Then I transformed 102400 in HEX, and obtained 19000.

In consequence I entered 19000 in the IoPageLockLimit registry key.

(Now I'm only hoping my pc doesn't blow up or anything...)

Anyway, thanx to both of you for your help.
(And if someone knows that I'm terribly wrong, please say so.)

oh ok im sorry i didnt quite understand what you were asking. but ur answer looked fine to me! :)

No probl.
I appreciate that you guys tried to give me answers a lot :)

Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because OCT 31 == DEC 25 ;)

Where is it?

I do not have the IoPageLockLimit DWORD anywhere in my registry.
Can I add it?

Re: Where is it?

Originally posted by shaydenb
I do not have the IoPageLockLimit DWORD anywhere in my registry.
Can I add it?
I wouldn't worry about, as it seems it isn't used in XP.
There was a thread about it at the TweakXP forum- Allen would know more about the techy aspect of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back