Hesitation problem - Can't figure out what the issue is

zapoqx

Striking Master
So I've had this strange issue lately. I want to say its started on Monday. How it starts I am not sure. It makes it hard for me to try and reproduce what is causing this.

What basically happens is that when this issue starts, my system goes into a hiccup state that happens every 2-3 seconds that it just hesitates from anything (moving the mouse, taking an input, etc etc), but it only lasts for half a sec. The only way for me to fix it is by restarting my computer.

I noticed that this is the first time though that when this happens, my CPU stays locked at 100% speed instead of at idle speed that I do with my Rightmark CPU Throttle (1.8GHZ is the max my laptop will do, so I set it that 800 MHz is the non use speed). Any other time the issue starts, it doesn't speed the CPU up.

Has this ever happened before?

No, I did not install anything new on that day up until today.

I remember having that happen to me a few times.... but i think in my case it was caused by something that was running in the background....

Ya, I've been trying to see if there was based on my processes, but I didn't see anything unusual in there.

when you launch taskmanager if you hit the "cpu" it will stack processes in order of cpu use

give that a go see what's using all that juice

then do the same for memory, see if the two are the same or if not look at how much memory the process is using as well

then figure out what that is, if it's something you need, spy/virus ware or whatever

I did manage to figure out what the issue was with being stuck at 1.8GHZ. If a game for example was in use and taking the full cpu load, when exiting, it gets stuck because of the hesitation.

Now its happening, but I don't know whats causing it since i left my laptop on overnight. Anti-virus scan found 1 virus, but that is a false virus that I know about anyways so I know it isn't that.

I at first thought it was Digsby having a new update that caused it, but I left digsby off last night and it still happened again. I'll run a spyware scan today to see if it catches something I didn't notice before (I'll be using ad-aware).

As for the task manager thing... The Cpu usage does seem to go between 28-40% but I'm not sure if its because of me typing here. Though, is it normal to have 9 svchost.exe running??? I can't remember if it was normal to have that amount or if there was supposed to be 5 and less...

Having several instances of svchost is normal as far as I'm aware. Don't think I've had only one instance of it ever, anyway.

As for the task manager thing... The Cpu usage does seem to go between 28-40% but I'm not sure if its because of me typing here. Though, is it normal to have 9 svchost.exe running??? I can't remember if it was normal to have that amount or if there was supposed to be 5 and less...

If you want to make sure about the svchost, download Process Explorer.

You can see what each svchost is related to.

thanks. Went through what each one did. Makes sense now why its 9 and not a little less (though I swore it was usually 5. So far today, it has not done it yet. Although, I THINK I might have figured out what the issue was and I will feel a bit stupid if it was the issue.

Sometimes my laptop won't realize when something is disconnected. In turn, I had an external dvd drive in there, but it might be that it didn't recognize it was not connected.

However, this is speculation. So I'll see how long it will last today.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back