Help!!

mtakridge

OSNN Newbie
I did a new build with a barebones and add 2 Gb RAM and an Intel P4 3.4 motherboard. I ran a registry cleaner on my old hard drive before moving it to the new box and motherboard.

When I fired up the new one it found my Primary HD and my Seconday HD but would not boot. I took my old XP Program an put in in my cd drive and told it to boot from there but it still want load or boot. Any suggestions on getting it running? I thought this would be a pice of cake and it was till I turned it on! HELP!!

Thanks in advance.

Easiest answer? Reformat/reinstall. When installing, XP installs drivers specific to the manufacturer of the motherboard and processor. You need to reformat in order to get the correct drivers installed.

mtak - right idea wrong changes...

If attempting a MB swap the correct process is:
1) making sure you have all the cd/dvd driver versions, then backup data, favorite DRM liscences etc,
2)go into device manager and uninstall every device listed sound, video ,mb, etc. This wipes the window registry install.
3) power down and put the system back together with new MB.
4) Boot and follow the found new HW wizard. This is successful 95% of the time. If all else follow the format and reinstall route. You may have top do that any way since your started the prosecc incorrectly.

Thanks guys!
This is my dad.. :laugh:

mtak - right idea wrong changes...
If attempting a MB swap the correct process is:
1) making sure you have all the cd/dvd driver versions, then backup data, favorite DRM liscences etc,.

Ok, but the drivers were already working... he is staying on XP..?? Why would the device drivers work with one MB (on XP) and not the next newer one?? Not to mention if he changes the BIOS to boot from CD-ROM it should pull basic device drivers to boot the CD-ROM... and will not do so??? what gives?

2)go into device manager and uninstall every device listed sound, video ,mb, etc. This wipes the window registry install. .
3) power down and put the system back together with new MB.
Great idea, I dont know why I didnt think of this one.. REPS +

HOWEVER, back to what I stated above... I am still stumped why the BIOS change to boot from CD-ROM, and the CD-ROM is NOT recognized??

4) Boot and follow the found new HW wizard. This is successful 95% of the time. If all else follow the format and reinstall route. You may have top do that any way since your started the prosecc incorrectly.

OK, still stumped... HOW can you do this if it will not boot?
It WONT boot at all, and wont even boot from CD-ROM either what then??

I was on my way to a friends house when he called me to help so I gave him the website...
:D
Dad,

if you read and havent gotten it fixed yet give me a call and I can try and help you, sorry was over at our friends house late.

Luv ya!

Mike A!

Last edited:
Now that it's finished...

The older CD/HD etc are controlled through the IDE hardware in the chipset. Different chipsets (VIA, Nvidia, Intel) need different drivers. If the wrong driver is installed on the HD it gets loaded by windows on boot.

The PCI devices section under System in device mangler include parts of the PCI to ide drivers. Device drivers like PCI Bridges have to be for the correct hardware. Also the IDE drivers themselves under IDE Controllers have to be the correct version for the chipset.

With all the fancy drivers manually uninstalled (DMA, UDMA, etc) just the basic 33 mhz device drivers in the bios get loaded. The chipset hardware for these is standardized and smart enough to talk to the HD and load the more advanced drivers (if the registry is pointing at the right versions).

Strip everything out of device manager (i.e. the associated registry entries) and you are basically booting into a new computer with minimal, standardized interfaces, but all of your program registry entries stay the same so you don't have to reload everything. I've had fairly good results with this technique going between various via and nforce chipsets.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back